Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SWSTM32 Ac6 toolchain linker error

Max Veen
Associate II
Posted on July 24, 2017 at 13:07

Hi all,

After building a project for the STM32F469xx processor I get a bunch of the following linker errors:

<project_name>cubemx.elf uses VFP register arguments, <file_name>.o does not exist?

failed to merge target specific data of file <file_name>.o?

My MCU Settings are:

prefix: arm-none-eabi

Floating point hardware: fpv4-sp-d16

Floating point-ABI: hard

Instruction set: Thumb 2

Linker:

library: cmath

My question is what causes this linker error, and what steps do I have to take to resolve this?

Any help I will appreciate!

Max

4 REPLIES 4
Posted on July 25, 2017 at 11:18

Are you sure you are also using the -mcpu=cortex-m4, -mthumb and -mlittle-endian options?

It's also possible that you are using a static library (like the same cmath, or Newlib or some Cube library) which was not compiled using the same FPU compiler options which you are using.

Lead
Posted on July 26, 2017 at 11:43

Correct, the ABIs of your application and libraries don't match.

... what steps do I have to take to resolve this?

Basically all toolchains use to be shipped with library versions for all possible combinations.

You need to select the proper library in the project setup, which is usually 'hidden' somewhere in the project settings.

Don't know AC6, though.

Amel NASRI
ST Employee
Posted on July 26, 2017 at 14:29

Hi

Veen.Max

‌,

Try to compare your setting to a ready to use example with SW4STM32 that you find in the STM32CubeF4 package. You may also compare them to the settings of a CubeMX generated project.

-Amel

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Posted on July 26, 2017 at 14:32

Hi Amel,

I have done what you suggested me. Thanks for that! Now the build is fine.

Regards,

Max V

Van: Amel N

Verzonden: Wednesday, 26 July 2017 14:30

Aan: Max Veen <,max.veen@veds.nl>,

Onderwerp: Re: - Re: SWSTM32 Ac6 toolchain linker error

STMicroelectronics Community <,https://community.st.com/?et=watches.email.thread>,

Re: SWSTM32 Ac6 toolchain linker error

reply from Amel N<,https://community.st.com/0D70X000006SsJBSA0