cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32F769 LwIP IAP - Project generates 384MB bin file

Alberto Fahrenkrog
Associate II
Posted on July 28, 2017 at 04:06

Hi all, I've been working successfully with SW4STM32 for a few weeks now and I'm quite happy with it. Generating projects with CubeMX32 and programming and debugging works pretty well.

I've been trying to compile the LwIP IAP example from the STM32F769 eval board, with the funny result that the project generates a bin file which is 384 MBytes in size. I'm very surprised, because if I change the post-build settings to .hex, I get a 27kbyte file (which makes much more sense). Anyone come across this and have found a solution? Cheers, Albert

3 REPLIES 3
Alberto Fahrenkrog
Associate II
Posted on July 28, 2017 at 04:08

Sorry, I meant 233 kB, not 27...

Cheers,

Albert

Posted on July 28, 2017 at 04:10

.HEX are sparse, .BIN files are not, so if you have a linker script that describes a huge span of memory areas, ie regions a long way from each other, then the file will be very large.

Look at the linker script, and look at the .MAP file describing the linker output.

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Posted on July 28, 2017 at 10:12

Agreed with Clive, never use a BIN file except to merge it before link phase with a base offset for a contiguous memory space. HEX or S19 text format has always been the natural way to go for years. If the file is too big, zip it.