cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to do DMA chaining?

Noname1937
Associate III
Posted on August 12, 2017 at 05:45

Hello, I have an Olimex E407 board and I want to do dual Simultaneous ADC triggered by timer and each ADC would have 3 channels each. The read is configured as DMA mode 2

My purpouse with this is to read 3 voltages (ADC1) and 3 currents (ADC2). And I'd also like to use the SIMD and DSP instructions for doig the calculations. From what I've been reading I'd need to have 6 different arrays, one for each voltage and one for each current. The problem is that I get just one array with all the data, like this: v1, i1, v2, i2, v3, i3, ... which basically isn't usable as it is. My idea was to have a fixed DMA in circular mode filling an array with just the 6 measured values, and then configure 6 memory to memory DMAs to transfer one value each to a different array whenever a full transfer complete is done  and by doing that the arbiter would decide on the order for the DMA transfers and I'd get my 6 different arrays. Is this possible???

If it isn't I've just read something on the reference manual .... it is possible to chain timersand each timer conects directly to a DMA stream ... which would mean that I could ... 

1 - configure ADC to trigger on one timer1(example)

2 - configure another timer(2) to trigger on timer 1 and timer 2 to timer3 ... and so on until I get my 6 different time bases (one for each array)

3 - link dma streams to its corresponding timer event

4 - configure memory to memory transfer for all extra dmas .... where source doesnt increment but destination does

Does the above text seem like something that could work?? I'm going to start implementing this on tuesday, but if someone has already tried something like this ... or maybe dma chaining is possible .. it would be better. My idea by chaining timers and linking them to dma streams is to simulate dma chaining ... seems to be too much trouble ... but the idea seems interesting

#timer #dma #timer-chaini #multimode-adc
3 REPLIES 3
Posted on August 12, 2017 at 17:09

The design does not permit chaining, and synchronization between channels is not provided beyond TIM based triggering (TIM could trigger ADC and DMA, different TIM channel providing phased placement)

You'll need to manage the initial data load to transform the provided vector into the one you'd prefer.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Posted on August 13, 2017 at 21:04

Ok ... after more reading I realized that I was confusing TI's DMA with ST's ... 

So ... do you know where I can find the temperature coefficient?? It's usually given as ppm/ºC or %/ºC ... at least that's how I've been seeing it on other websites. It's probably around 0.05%/ºC, but I can't find this information anywhere in the datasheet

Posted on August 14, 2017 at 17:29

http://www.st.com/content/ccc/resource/technical/document/datasheet/ef/92/76/6d/bb/c2/4f/f7/DM00037051.pdf/files/DM00037051.pdf/jcr:content/translations/en.DM00037051.pdf

Data Sheet, Table 70. Temperature sensor calibration values 

Words read out of OTP memory

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..