Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32 libraries for newbie

David Huisman
Associate
Posted on August 14, 2017 at 11:47

Hi,

I am starting out with STM32 (STM32F103CB). I am thinking of using Visual Studio with VisualGDB and Seggar debugger. Are there high level libraries I can use for setting up IO functions and also for delays and non-blocking timers?

I am wanting something simple like

delay(ms);

non-blocking:

StartTimer(x,delay);

if(Timer[x].Timeout){

}

And digital IO

SetPin(x,OUTPUT);  (bit like Arduino code)

digitalWrite(pin,HIGH);

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
Sebastian K.
Associate II
Posted on August 14, 2017 at 15:32

Hi,

are you using STM32CubeMX? For starting out I would recommend using that to create the basic initialization code, then play around and try to understand the code it generates.

http://www.st.com/content/st_com/en/products/development-tools/software-development-tools/stm32-software-development-tools/stm32-configurators-and-code-generators/stm32cubemx.html

It automatically includes the libraries you need for the functions you select. It will need to download a firmware package for your MCU, which also includes examples, although mostly extremely simple ones. It is not as simplified as for Arduino, but as long as you know how to read or set registers, and have an IDE that allows you to trace declarations through the source code, you should be fine.

I'm not sure it will work with Visual Studio though, but for a free-of-charge IDE you can try the STM32 system workbench based on Eclipse, which is probably easier to set up:

http://www.openstm32.org/System+Workbench+for+STM32

Hope it helps.

Ivan Ivan
Associate II
Posted on August 14, 2017 at 17:25

There's 'a standard' library for newbie, it is called HAL and supplied by STM.

1. It does not offer non-blocking timer (but HAL_Delay performs a blocking timeout). If you need a non-blocking timer, you may do the following:

a) declare somewhere a globaldef.h:

typedef struct {

uint32_t timerValue;

uint32_t maxTimer;

uint8_t timerAllowed;

uint8_t cycleTimer;

uint8_t timeoutTimer;

} NONBLOCKTIMER;

NONBLOCKTIMER theTimer;

b) in main(), before starting the cycle, init the timer:

theTimer.timerValue = 0; theTimer.timerAllowed = 0; theTimer.cycleTimer=0; theTimer.timeoutTimer = 0;

c)in HAL_SYSTICK_IRQHandler (fires once in 1 ms by default) (see file with name like ..._it.c ) add the following to the end of routine:

if (theTimer.timerAllowed==1)&&(theTimer.timeoutTimer==0) {

theTimer.timerValue++; 

if ( theTimer.maxTimer<theTimer.timerValue) {

theTimer.timeoutTimer=1; theTimer.timerAllowed=0;

}

}

d)dispatch the state of theTimer in Main Cycle

if (theTimer.timeoutTimer==1) {

//do smth and restart your crude timer

theTimer.timeoutTimer=0;

}

Amel NASRI
ST Employee
Posted on August 14, 2017 at 18:01

Hi

orbitcoms

‌,

There is also Mbed:

https://developer.mbed.org/platforms/ST-Nucleo-F103RB/

-Amel

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

David Huisman
Associate
Posted on August 15, 2017 at 00:06

Thanks Guys,

I am using my own hardware.