cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

stm32f334 for MCU for the digital power?

T B
Associate II
Posted on August 18, 2017 at 15:22

Hello!

I am evaluating MCUs for advanced power supplies. The MCU should become our standard MCU for the digital power conversion applications. We typically have an (interleaved) buck, a full/half bridge and a synchronous rectifier. So I need at least 5 PWM units with two complementary outputs per unit. It must be possible to synchronize the PWMs and to have arbitrary phase shifts between the PWMs. Comparators are also mandatory and Hrtim is beneficial.

I found the stm32f334 as an interesting candidate. I played around with and “STM32F3348 Discovery Board and read the HRtim cookbook, but I still have some questions.

@Phase

If I understand correctly, they did arbitrary phase shifts in the STEVAL-ISA172V2 as described in the AN4856. Is this code available?

@Triangular vs Sawtooth reference

For some application we have used triangular references (up/down counter), because a duty cycle change has no influence on the phase between PWM units. Can I use to compare values (period +/- DC/2) to emulate an up/down counter.

@Peak current Mode control

Is it possible control the PWM duty cycle with the comparator for a digital peak current Mode controller?

Last but not least is the stm32f334 a good chose or should I use another MCU?

-Thomas

1 REPLY 1
STOne-32
ST Employee
Posted on August 18, 2017 at 19:07

Hi ,

F334 is unique and a best choice if HRTIM is a must for your application for high precision  power conversion. Then if you need only PWMs with complimentary outputs + analog comparators etc. You can select any other F3 product MCU from entry level F301 of 64K of flash to 512K for F303.  You can look to the General purpose Timer Cookbook as well.

Cheers, 

STOne -32