cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SPBTLE-1S Integration

Posted on February 09, 2018 at 15:05

Hi all,

I would like to integrate the SPBTLE-1S bluetooth module in a new own PCB design. I want to connect the bluetooth module with a STM32F215 MCU through I2C interface.

I have performed the schematic following the datasheet recommendations. Could anyone help me and check if SCH it's ok?

Thanks in advance.

Bests regards!

10 REPLIES 10
Winfred LU
ST Employee
Posted on February 12, 2018 at 06:37

Hi Francisco,

It looks fine to me.

DIO7 is for firmware upgrade purpose, and it should be kept low by default to prevent unwanted bootloader activation.

It is suggested to keep SWD. That will save your time while debugging is needed.

To be safe, please ask some local FAE help review.

Thank you.

Best Regards,

Winfred

Posted on February 12, 2018 at 08:55

Hi Winfred Lu,

Thanks for your response.

In the other hand, in Pînout definition table it shows four operation Mode. How this operating modes are selected?

Posted on February 13, 2018 at 03:53

Hi Francisco,

I think you were referring to

http://www.st.com/content/ccc/resource/technical/document/datasheet/group3/a5/eb/6a/04/8a/ad/47/9b/DM00378917/files/DM00378917.pdf/jcr:content/translations/en.DM00378917.pdf

, Table 5: Pinout description.

It will be more clear to reference 

http://www.st.com/content/ccc/resource/technical/document/datasheet/group3/ac/c1/ad/80/54/fa/49/9d/DM00262983/files/DM00262983.pdf/jcr:content/translations/en.DM00262983.pdf

, Chapter 3.12: GPIO.

IO pins can be configured into one of the 4 operation modes,

with modifying GPIO registers accordingly :

• MODE0 (offset 0x2C) - select mode for IO0 to IO7
  • MODE1 (offset 0x30) - select mode for IO8 to IO14

All the pins are in GPIO mode by default, excluding IO9 and IO10 are in SWD mode by default,

Best Regards,

Winfred

Posted on February 26, 2018 at 19:08

Hi Wilfred,

I have another doubt. I want to use I2C interface as main communication interface, so, how I could configure the I2C salve adress for my bluetooth device?

Datasheets shows: 'If in slave mode, the SCR register has to be programmed with the selected slave address'. How I programm the SCR register? By another interface?

Best Regards,

Thanks ins advance,

Posted on February 27, 2018 at 04:58

Hi Francisco,

SPBTLE-1S is a application processor module based on BlueNRG-1 SoC, which means the embedded Cortex-M0 controls everything.

You will need to program the MCU to configure IO pins into I2C, and handle I2C slave events accordingly.

Please reference 

http://www.st.com/content/st_com/en/products/embedded-software/evaluation-tool-software/stsw-bnrg-v1-dk.html

, Peripheral example I2C slave located:

C:\Program Files (x86)\STMicroelectronics\BlueNRG-1_V1 DK 1.0.0\Project\BlueNRG1_Periph_Examples\I2C\Slave_Polling

In BlueNRG1_i2c.c , function I2C_Init() , it sets I2C own address (slave address) in SCR register:

MODIFY_REG(I2Cx->SCR, I2C_SLAVE_ADDR_EXT10_SMK, I2C_InitStruct->I2C_OwnAddress1);

Best Regards,

Winfred

Posted on February 27, 2018 at 09:02

So, I need a EVB to program the MCU? How should I connect the module?

Posted on February 27, 2018 at 10:27

Could you support me about the following questions?

1) Should I use pins SWDIO and SWCLK in the SPBTLE-1S module to program it?

2) Is the module programmed through ST-LINK software?

3) It 's necessary that SPBTLE-1S module use the UART bootloader interface?

4) Should the '.hex' file generated in STSW-BNRG_V1-DK software?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards.

Francisco.

Posted on March 01, 2018 at 02:46

Hi Francisco,

1. Yes.
  2. Yes.
  3. No. You can also flash SPBTLE-1S(BlueNRG-1) through SWD.

To upgrade firmware with UART is an option when SWD is not available.
  4. Yes, you may choose to flash the pre-built .HEX files in DK.located:

C:\Program Files (x86)\STMicroelectronics\BlueNRG-1_V1 DK 1.0.0\Firmware\BlueNRG1_Periph_Examples\BlueNRG-1\I2C\

Best Regards,

Winfred

mitja kobler
Associate II
Posted on June 06, 2018 at 11:21

Hello, 

I'm having a bit of a difficulty integrating SPBTLE-1S into my design. I've developed an application using a STEVAL-IDB007v1 dev. board, now i want to transfer it onto SPBTLE-1S module. Everything goes well ( I2C for display is working and other periphery too..) except for the Bluetooth(LE) part. It doesn't show up (on my phone, BLE scanner ..) . Ive reduced the BLE profile to bare minimum and still no success. What changes do i need to make to transfer my project from dev. board to module. Or how can i program the module itself? Just to test if its working. I'm programming it with IAR through SWD interface. Any help would be greatly welcomed!

Regards, 

Mitja.