cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the best way to get started with QSPI-Flash and STM32F7?

Kevin Lehzen
Associate III
Posted on June 01, 2018 at 10:54

Hi there,

we are now facing a new chapter of progress for our sensor. Our sensor generates data (8bit arrays) and they want to be stored on the device. On our custom board we built-in a QSPI-Nor Flash memory (IS25WPXXX256D) connected to the QSPI bus of the STM32F746VG like on the respective discovery board.

Our distributor told us about this combination of tools to store the data:

Usage of FreeRTOS, FatFS and USB mass storage (everything middleware) with wear leveling algorithm to increase lifetime. But we think this sounds like much overhead for our little sensor. Currently we are not using any OS and we want to keep it like that. 

So what would be the best way to read from and write to the memory without having an OS? Also is there a more simple solution for the data management with a lookup table or something like that instead of using FatFS?

I guess we are not the only ones facing this issue. I think the qspi-nor flash market will grow fast the next years and will be used much in combination with microcontroller setups.

Thanks in advance!

Kind regards,

Kevin Lehzen

#qspi-flash #nor-flash #memory #stm32-f7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Posted on June 01, 2018 at 14:24

There should be several QSPI examples under the HAL trees that demonstrate basic read/write functionality

STM32Cube_FW_F7_V1.11.0\Projects\STM32746G-Discovery\Examples\QSPI\QSPI_ReadWrite_IT

STM32Cube_FW_F7_V1.11.0\Projects\STM32F769I_EVAL\Examples\QSPI\QSPI_ReadWrite_DMA

The bulk of these types of example do not use an OS.

You will need to manage the usage of the memory, and the erase, write, read sequencing. If you are recording a linear stream of data you can just create a method that records in a loop, and have a header or block structures allowing you to identify and order sessions for exporting the data.

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Posted on June 01, 2018 at 14:24

There should be several QSPI examples under the HAL trees that demonstrate basic read/write functionality

STM32Cube_FW_F7_V1.11.0\Projects\STM32746G-Discovery\Examples\QSPI\QSPI_ReadWrite_IT

STM32Cube_FW_F7_V1.11.0\Projects\STM32F769I_EVAL\Examples\QSPI\QSPI_ReadWrite_DMA

The bulk of these types of example do not use an OS.

You will need to manage the usage of the memory, and the erase, write, read sequencing. If you are recording a linear stream of data you can just create a method that records in a loop, and have a header or block structures allowing you to identify and order sessions for exporting the data.

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Kevin Lehzen
Associate III
Posted on June 01, 2018 at 14:30

Hi Clive,

thats what I wanted to hear!

Thank you one more time!

Kevin