cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jive... Community vs. forum?

Pavel A.
Evangelist III
Posted on January 18, 2018 at 11:40

Congratulations for fixing the forum! (knocking on a wood)

A confusing thing for newcomers like myself is that questions can be asked in the STM32 Forum and in the STM32 Community. The latter IMHO is confusing and should be disabled. People can post questions outside of the forum and wonder why there's no replies.  Or, when posting  question directly to the community there should be a prominent notice that the question isn't going to the forum.

Regards,

Pavel A.

25 REPLIES 25
Posted on January 18, 2018 at 12:02

While +1 for removing the mess (and I've said this already at the short beta stage back then), the forum hasn't been fixed yet, it still throws 'unexpected error' for me.

It's been selective in this all the time.

JW

Posted on January 18, 2018 at 17:18

Would agree there are too many places to post things, and too many ways to categorize a post.

>>

People can post questions outside of the forum and wonder why there's no replies. 

It is usually for reasons other than visibility, the feeds that I look at don't filter on the type or placement of a question.

Questions that lack foundation and context, are chronically vague, or just aren't of interest, are ignored. Responses aren't guaranteed, and are dependent on participation. Bumping vacuous threads doubles down on the original problem.

The 'HELP! I can't put on my pants', or 'URGENT: Can you read the manual to me, I'm lazy, ASAP' type posts are also likely to be ignored.

The moderators are reasonably efficient at moving things to where they deem the right place is, I frequently see my stuff moved, not going to try and hurt my head thinking about it.  The site is clearly someone's vision of how it should look/work.

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Posted on January 18, 2018 at 17:44

I also do not care where I post a topic.

The most important thing is that the forum/community has very active members and you can get help really quickly in most cases. Some members of the forum are real experts and you get many details you cannot find easily.

Welcome aboard!

Posted on January 19, 2018 at 04:55

Hi

pavel_a

Golab.Bogdan

Turvey.Clive.002

Jive-x uses the following hierarchy (with some examples for you to understand it better)

Root Space

Community (Space) -->

https://community.st.com/community/stm32-community

Sub-spaces -->

https://community.st.com/community/stm32-community/places

Categories -->

https://community.st.com/community/stm32-community/stm32-forum/content?filterID=contentstatus%5Bpublished%5D~category%5Bstm32-evaluation-tools%5D

Posted on January 19, 2018 at 09:54

That just makes it more confusing - 'STM32 MCUs Community' is both a '

Community (Space)' and a '

Sub-space'?!

But, as

Turvey.Clive.002

‌ says, posts in the 'wrong' place do quite quickly get moved to the 'right' place ...

Posted on January 19, 2018 at 10:09

No.

Click on the links, don't stop at their title 

Posted on January 19, 2018 at 10:28

My point is that having the same name  for different things is confusing!

Posted on January 19, 2018 at 10:39

Clive One wrote:

The moderators are reasonably efficient at moving things to where they deem the right place is,

It would be useful if users could flag posts that seem to be 'in the wrong place' - especially 'hijacks' within a thread.

Posted on January 19, 2018 at 10:41

It is possible to highlight them for moderators (in PM for example).

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.