Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PIT Timer Interrupt < 2.5us

raghu tumati
Associate II
Posted on September 20, 2017 at 19:44

Hi 

I trying to use the PIT to generate an interrupt every 1.7uS to toggle a GPIO and it does not seem to be working well. 

I have a sysclk of 64MHz. Im using PIT1 and setting the LDVAL register with a count. Now the timer seems to be working well for a count of 200000 which corresponds to an intrerupt time of 5uS. 

But any value less than that and the timer is unstable (high value of jitter) 

Going further a value of 1000000 which corresponds to an interrupt time of 1us just does not work. The PIT does not seem to be able to generate an interrupt less than 2.5us. 

I tried chaining the priority of the PIT interrupt to 15 in the file pit_lld.h 

Below is my setting 

#define SPC5_PIT_CH1_IRQ_PRIORITY       INTC_PSR_ENABLE(INTC_PSR_CORE0_15) 

This also did not seem to work. Is there any other setting that I can change to get this to work?

6 REPLIES 6
Posted on September 20, 2017 at 23:33

Is it unable to generate interrupts at that rate, or is the processor not able to stack context, and enter/exit an interrupt at such rates.

Figure out where the processors saturation point is. Consider if there are more effective ways for hardware to generate a toggling output signal.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Posted on September 21, 2017 at 00:39

I believe it can generate interrupts at that rate but it is the entering/exiting ISR thats the saturation point. But thats just a guess. The clock is at 64Mz. So thats around 132 cycles for a 2us timer. It should be able to do it. 

Just curios if anyone else in this community has ever had to implement such an exercise? 

Posted on September 21, 2017 at 00:58

Relatively low trafficked forum. When you're up at 500 KHz the exercise is to make the timer to be autonomous, and to recognize that's how to eliminate jitter.

Posted on September 21, 2017 at 01:26

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by autonomous? 

And I can worry about jitter once I can actually get the timer interpret to within a micro second  

Posted on September 21, 2017 at 02:30

>>I'm not sure I understand what you mean by autonomous? 

Let HW do HW work.

>>And I can worry about jitter once I can actually get the timer interpret to within a micro second

Ok, but I think you miss the point.

Erwan YVIN
ST Employee
Posted on September 26, 2017 at 10:43

Hello Raghu ,

Could you confirm the device used ?

it is well SPC56P60  ..

Did you try to update SPC560Pxx_RLA PIT Test Application for Discovery ?

Best Regards

Erwan