Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

External Loader for IS25LP256D-JMLE

Klaas de Boer
Associate II
Posted on September 21, 2017 at 14:36

Hi all!

We encountered a problem while we wants to program our Display Controller Unit.

In our previous prototype we used a QSPI Nor-Flash MT25QL256ABA8ESF-0SIT

We could use the available bootloaders found in ST-LINK Utility.

This was working perfectly.

In our new design we used an other QSPI chip, provided bij ISSI:

IS25LP256D-JMLE

Now we are facing some problems regarding to the bootloader. With the STM32 ST-LINK Utility it's possible to select 'external loader'. But the chip we are using now is not listed in the provided loaders.

As far we know both chips are QSPI Nor-Flash memory. Share the same addresses? But we don�t know if we need to write a new bootloader? And how we write such a bootloader.

How can we solve this problem? Are there other loaders available? Do some of you guys have written some examples? Could you help us further?

We are looking forward to your replies! 🙂

Best regards!

#external-loader #stm32f746bg #mt25ql256aba8esf-0sit #is25lp256d-jmle
7 REPLIES 7
R Piacenzia
Associate III
Posted on October 16, 2017 at 14:23

Hi,

We're also using the IS25LP256D, and wondering if there is a Loader available for this chip.

Was there a resolution to this question?

Thanks.

Posted on October 16, 2017 at 15:52

We are still busy on developing a Loader, we have a lot of issues. Maybe you can also write a loader?

What kind of STM processor are you using? And what about your interface? 

Maybe we can help each other 🙂
Posted on November 07, 2017 at 01:55

Next case where ST is not supporting!

I've similiar issues. I'm using a STM32F446R with a S25FL064L

Posted on November 07, 2017 at 04:57

>>

Next case where ST is not supporting!

ST is not your mother, they are not going to do your laundry. The answer might be 'This is the washing machine, and here is the soap, have at it', and while you might not like that level of 'support' you can't expect to push others to code solutions for free.

Contact the FAE assigned to your commercial account. Is there a business case to code for your part/design choices?

Review the consultant/contractor list.

Look at commercial solutions like Segger's J-Flash or Keil's Flash loaders.

Consider a bounty program, several forum members here have the skillsets to write these loaders. 

https://www.bountysource.com/

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Posted on November 07, 2017 at 09:33

You are quite the sauerkraut, aren't ya? 

I have followed every one of ST's solutions and build upon their examples, still nothing. I have been in contact with ST for weeks and the person helping me has the EXACT SAME PROBLEM with the writing of an external loader for the ST-Link application. Sometimes support IS lacking and documentation not so useful. Do you know how ST-Link uses the code inside of the binaries? Apparently not a lot of people do as the aforementioned ST employee has the same problems as I do.

You are a wizard on this forum Clive, and I think everybody is grateful for your contributions, but your attacking reaction here was unnecessary.

On topic:

I have made some progress over the past week. For QSPI you have two choices: use the HAL code, or use the CMSIS code. I have found that the HAL code does not really work in combination with ST-Link. I wrote code specific for the IS25LP256D (the initialization is important, because it differs from other NOR-Flash chips) and it worked when I programmed my microcontroller. It could read/write/erase etc, but inside the ST-Link application it didn't work.

I chose to start debugging using the UART interface. So inside the loader code, I put some statements showing me where it went wrong. This showed me that the biggest problem is inside the time-dependent functions of the HAL. Functions like QSPI_AutoPollingMemReady, which can be quite important. I have mostly stripped them to their CMSIS basis and removed time dependencies.

Good luck with your development, I will keep checking this thread.

Posted on November 08, 2017 at 18:25

Clive, the Problem is more that either ST doesn't published a propper documentation or showing reusable examples. Therefore I would expect here Little bit more Support from ST. Yes, I tried to get Support from ST, but they forwarded me to the seller from where I bought the uC.

I'm not the only one with this issue and I saw other threads where other users asked for Support. The answer from ST was here to use this X-Cube-Boot Thing..That can not be the solution.

Michael Hayward
Associate
Posted on February 28, 2018 at 15:52

Sorry, I don´t have a solution for thr ISSI device but I do have 9000pcs of the MT25QL256ABA8ESF-0SIT in stock.  mikeatabsunshinedotcom