cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STLink detection issue with STM32F417IGH6 chip

shashank vaidya
Associate II
Posted on September 21, 2017 at 15:20

I am using STM32F417IGH6 chip with ST-LINk V2, but ST-link is not detecting in the STM32 ST-Link utility software to program the ST. What all I should look into Hardware wise. I have checked the power, reset, everything looks fine. I am connecting the following signals in ST-LINK V2 to STM32

reset, 

gnd

swdio

swclk. 

6 REPLIES 6
Posted on September 22, 2017 at 01:10

External ST-LINK requires pin 1 to connect to your 3.0-3.3V supply (ie VTarget)

Chip orientation

Voltage on VDDA

Voltage on VCAP pins

State of NRST pin

Do you have a schematic? Everything being 'fine' doesn't get me closer to understanding what is 'wrong'...

Diagram trumps Prose

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
shashank vaidya
Associate II
Posted on September 22, 2017 at 14:16

Hi, Thank you for the reply.

I checked the points mentioned by you. It is fine and while debugging, I found that, the SWDIO pin is LOW in non-working board and HIGH in working board when the board is powered ON. The board in which it is HIGH is connecting to ST LINK and where it is LOW, it is not connecting. Is this a problem? What is the default condition of SWDIO pin?  Any other process to make this work? Please help.  

Posted on September 22, 2017 at 14:45

Hello.

Take a look to this previous

https://community.st.com/0D50X00009XkYpiSAF

similar like yours.
Posted on September 22, 2017 at 15:10

>>

Any other process to make this work?

Saying some is 'fine' is unhelpful. Specifically what voltages do you see on the VCAP pins.

A device that is unpowered will be unresponsive. Focus on that, and the quality of your soldering, etc. Check for shorts/opens, check current consumption.

There isn't some wand waving exercise I can perform to make this work. If there are board manufacturing issues, or with components you will need to track those things down. As you have boards that work vs ones that don't focus on what differentiates them.

Posted on September 22, 2017 at 15:24

Hi,

I forgot to mention that, these boards were in working condition, before

we faced such issue.

Anyway I shall look into the things which you have mentioned.

Posted on September 22, 2017 at 15:26

https://community.st.com/0D70X000006SsWdSAK

If you have code that messes with the SWD pins or puts the device to sleep you can try pulling the BOOT0 High so it doesn't run your code, or try 'Connect under Reset' options.