Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STEVAL-BLUEMIC-1 can not connect via ST-Link

Adriana Albert
Associate II
Posted on November 06, 2017 at 13:06

Hi,

I am trying to test SPBTLE-1 with this evaluation board. I am using an STM32 Nucleo board as external ST-Link with the setup specified in user manual (DocID030830) linked below and BlueNRG-1 ST-LINK Utility software.

When I connect the system via USB to my pc (usb dongle of the Nucleo board) I get the following reports:

• FAIL.TXT: 'The interface firmware FAILED to reset/halt the target MCU' 
  • DETAILS.TXT: 'Version 0221'

When I try to use ST-Link utility I get 'No target connected'

I have no problem for program the Nucleo board using STM32 ST-Link Utility.

Any advice?

User manual (setup at page 22):

https://my.st.com/content/ccc/resource/technical/document/user_manual/group0/28/76/a9/ea/c3/20/4e/fb/DM00411757/files/DM00411757.pdf/jcr:content/translations/en.DM00411757.pdf

)
4 REPLIES 4
Posted on November 08, 2017 at 12:11

Hello,

your setup seems correct. Here some suggestions:

- Have you tried to updated the FW of the ST-Link, you can do it using the BlueNRG-1 ST-Link Utility using the ST-LINK/Firmware updated menù?

- Have you removed the jumpers on the CN2 connector?

- Is the LED on the STEVAL-BLUEMIC-1 blinking when you power it on? if this is the first time you're using it, the default FW is loaded.

- Are you able to connect to the board using one of the supported IDE in debug mode?

Hope this can help you.

Let me know if you manage to solve your issues.

Best Regards

Marco

Posted on November 09, 2017 at 08:48

Hello Marco,

firmware was updated, jumpers configuration was correct and STEVAL-BLUEMIC-1 was working properly. I solved the issue by switching off the STEVAL-BLUEMIC-1. I don't understand why the user manual image shows the programming set up with the battery plugged and board switched on.

Anyway, BlueNRG-1 ST-Link utility is not automatically detecting my target. Every time I connect I have to play with connection mode and change from Hot Plug to Normal or vice versa. I also can program the board using my IDE. 

I have not deeply reviewed the schematics so I'm not sure if there is a logical explanation for the switch issue. Is it normal this behavior with the software? 

Thanks for your help.

Best regards

Adriana

Posted on November 09, 2017 at 13:35

Hello Adriana,

That behavior seems strange to me. The board should be detected by the BlueNRG-1 ST-LINK utility without problem when it's switched on and connected to the battery. (I've just tried it myself)

Maybe there can be some problems related to the ST-Link on the Nucleo, some jumpers missing or solder bridge modified that can cause a reset status on the STEVAL-BLUEMIC-1. Have you ever modified your Nucleo or it's just as out of the box?

Best regards

Marco

Posted on November 09, 2017 at 17:19

Hello, 

I have modified my Nucleo but the current configuration is the initial one, and also I have tried with two different Nucleo boards. But now I have changed the STEVAL-BLUEMIC-1 resistors configuration for use usb as power supply so, for now, I'm not going to do your experiment. 

I will notify you if I understand what's going on.

Best regards

Adriana