Did you mean: 

How to program STM32 sensors Mezzanine?

Manivannan Sadhasivam
Associate II
Posted on October 10, 2017 at 15:15

Hello,

I am working with

http://www.st.com/en/evaluation-tools/b-f446e-96b01a.html

which is compatible with 96Boards CE. My development environment is Linux (Ubuntu Mate). I am using the board in standalone mode i.e., without any 96Boards base board. When the board is connected to my PC, it enumerates as a USB cdc device and got /dev/ttyACM0 interface. Also, one /dev/sdc block device. But I'm not sure how to use the drag and drop interface to program the board. 

In my understanding, there should be a FAT storage medium to place the binary but I didn't get that. Below is the link to dmesg output:

https://pastebin.ubuntu.com/25713712/

Can someone please help?

Thanks,

Mani

#stlink-v2 #96boards #stm32-sensor-mezzanine
6 REPLIES 6
Lead
Posted on October 10, 2017 at 16:07

Also, one /dev/sdc block device. But I'm not sure how to use the drag and drop interface to program the board.

Usually by dropping the 'executable' onto the MSC device.

This requires a kind of second-stage bootloader on the target, and is common practice with Arduino.

And that in turn means the toolchain/executable needs to be aware of this bootloader's requirements.

Not sure if your Mezzanine board has such an (Arduino) loader, the user manual is not very specific here ...

I use to ignore this bootloaders, as many other here in this forum do.

You can get to the target directly via the onboard STLink adapter, but that involves killing those Arduino-gimmicks.

Manivannan Sadhasivam
Associate II
Posted on October 10, 2017 at 16:14

Thanks for the reply...

For STLink V2 I tried to use stlink from 

https://github.com/texane/stlink

but it returned

WARN src/common.c: Invalid flash type, please check device declaration

Posted on October 10, 2017 at 16:11

It appears to have an STLINKv2/1 as the newer Discos and the Nucleos.

JW

Posted on October 10, 2017 at 18:25

I use Crossworks for ARM, which has a good Linux version, coming with a working driver for STLinks.

And AFAIK there is a free/limited version as well.

The choice of IDEs/toolchains is quite limited under Linux, as well as ST's driver support

Manivannan Sadhasivam
Associate II
Posted on November 03, 2017 at 08:45

Update:

I have used STLink Utility on Windows also. But it returned 'USB communication error' and in the trace log it shows that the utility is unable to read IDCODE. I have tried various combinations of reset connection types but nothing worked. 

Interestingly, if I connect the board to Windows PC, it shows the serial number of the board in settings but after 10 secs or so 'USB communication error' pops up.

I'd be curious to know if there are any additional jumper settings needed to get it working.

Anyone used this Mezzanine before? 

Regards,

Mani

Posted on November 03, 2017 at 10:15

Could it be that your board has a power supply issue, or maxes out the USB current limit of 100mA ?