Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

power consumption calculator for stm32h7

Evgeny Erlihman
Associate III
Posted on October 17, 2017 at 22:27

Hello,

I am trying to estimate power consumption on the stm32h7. The use case i am interested in is sampling 6 channels using ADC3 and transferring the sampled data to memory using BDMA, all this while D1 and D2 domains are in stop mode and only D3 is working. The thing is that i am not able to configure the D1&D2 to stop modes.

1. If i set the power mode to RUN, then D1 has only two options - DRUN/CRUN and DRUN/CSLEEP, in which case D2 only has DRUN. 
  2. If i set the power mode to STOP, then D1 has DSTOP/DSTANDBY, D2 has 

DSTOP/DSTANDBY and D3 only has DSTOP.

The power consumption in the first case looks too high to me - 17mA. And off course in the second case D3 is in DSTOP, so it is not what i want.

I am doing something wrong with the configurations, or is it because STM32CubeMX Version 4.22.1 does not support this work mode in power consumption calculator?

Thanks,

Evgeny

#stme32-cube #stm32h7 #low-power-stop-mode #power-consumption #cube-mx-power-calculator-tab #stm32h743 #low-power
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Amel NASRI
ST Employee
Posted on October 18, 2017 at 15:20

Hi

evgeny.erlihman

‌,

You have to select 'BAM' as 'power mode. In this cou can select the suitable ase, D3 will be in DRUN mode and you can select the suitable low power mode (DSTANDBY or DSTOP) for both D1 and D2.

-Amel

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Amel NASRI
ST Employee
Posted on October 18, 2017 at 15:20

Hi

evgeny.erlihman

‌,

You have to select 'BAM' as 'power mode. In this cou can select the suitable ase, D3 will be in DRUN mode and you can select the suitable low power mode (DSTANDBY or DSTOP) for both D1 and D2.

-Amel

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Posted on October 18, 2017 at 15:26

Hi Amel,

When i select BAM and choose DSTANDBY for D1/D2, i do get the D3 in DRUN. But the peripheral list is empty, and the power consumption is 6.5mA. It states that this consumption is without peripherals, isn't it a bit high?

Thanks,

Evgeny

Posted on November 02, 2017 at 16:46

Consumption of 6.5 mA is coming from D3 in DRUN mode (this is without peripherals correct) and the value is like in datasheet 'Typical current consumption batch acquisition mode' table.

/EA

Posted on November 09, 2017 at 17:51

I will append the previous answer with some more details:

In this configuration i.e BAM (Batch Acquisition Mode), a data transfer between a D3 peripheral (I2C4) and SRAM via BDMA is performed. Once done, a step is supposed to be added where D1 is woken-up for data transfer from D3 SRAM to another RAM in D1 so that the core will process data, then another one step is needed where D1 come back in STANDBY mode.

There are some more explanations in sub chapters from section 7 'Low-power D3 domain' of the Ref Manual RM0433.

/EA

Posted on November 09, 2017 at 18:09

Hi E.A,

I am trying, for the past week, to make the BAM work with FreeRTOS anda 'simple' setupdescribed here:

https://community.st.com/0D50X00009XkXBiSAN

I am able to get into Dstop/Dstop/Drun mode, but as soon as i change theHAL_PWREx_EnterSTOPMode toHAL_PWREx_EnterSTANDBYMode the system hangs as explained.

Is it possible to provide a simple BAM example with FreeRTOS?I haven't seen any anywhere, and ST must have tested it...

I do think that a lot of people would benefit from this

Thanks,

Evgeny