Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

External JLink with Nucleo 144

Evgeny Erlihman
Associate III
Posted on October 30, 2017 at 19:18

Hello,

I am trying to use my JLink Ultra+ with stm32h7 nucleu 144 board. I followed the instructions on:

https://gnu-mcu-eclipse.github.io/developer/j-link-stm32-boards/

but could not make it work, after connecting all the pins, i removed the CN4 jumpers. At this point i see that the probe senses the board, but the sw4stm still gives me an error about unconnected board....

Has anybody been able to use an external JLink probe with a nucleu 144 board?

I am using sw4stm IDE.

Thanks,

Evgeny

#sw4stm32-eclipse #stm32h7 #segger #jlink #sw4stm32
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Posted on October 31, 2017 at 16:33

I would connect to the target using the CN4 SWDIO/SWCLK pins, currently you are talking back into the ST-LINK, not the target

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Posted on October 30, 2017 at 21:21

Use the JLink Commander tools to check connectivity/function.

Watch the NRST and SWO connectivity, and remove solder-bridges connecting to the on-board ST-LINK

Posted on October 30, 2017 at 21:37

Just to make sure i understood you, the solder bridges need to be removed are SB110 (SWO) & SB111 (NRST)?

Posted on October 31, 2017 at 00:16

Yes, the schematic should be illustrative of this also.

Posted on October 31, 2017 at 16:20

I can see that the UM1974 states:

Using ST-LINK/V2-1 to program and debug an external STM32 application It is very easy to use the ST-  LINK/V2-1 to program the STM32 on an external application. Simply remove the two jumpers from CN4, as shown in Figure 10 and connect the application to the CN6 debug connector according to Table 5.

Note: SB111 NRST (target STM32 RESET) must be OFF when CN6 pin 5 is used in an external application.

So SB111 should be removed, but i cannot find anything about removing SB110. Just in case i tried both ways, with no success. Attaching an image of my setup, maybe somebody can spot anything wrong in it.

0690X00000604BHQAY.jpg
Posted on October 31, 2017 at 16:33

I would connect to the target using the CN4 SWDIO/SWCLK pins, currently you are talking back into the ST-LINK, not the target

Posted on October 31, 2017 at 19:29

Hi Clive,

Thank you for your answer! I was able to get it working by connecting to SWDIO/SWCLK from CN4, 

GND from CN6, and NRST from CN8. Another wire from 3v3 on CN8 to

VTref (pin1 on jlink)

for JLink to sniff the MCU. 

The SWO is not connected at all.

I wish ST had clear instruction how to connect an external JLink probe to their nucleo boards.....

Thanks,

Evgeny

Posted on October 31, 2017 at 21:32

Well you understand that really isn't the purpose of the ST-LINK, the idea is it is usable to debug other boards, not that you replace it with an external pod.

If you need some J-LINK specific feature, there is the J-Link OB Firmware which can replace the ST-LINK firmware.

Posted on October 31, 2017 at 21:38

The first thing i did was to update the OB ST-Link wit JLink firmware, unfortunately it stopped working after a short while, on more than one evaluation board......

I understand this might be a 'local' issue, but i do not have the time to debug the tools. Maybe if ST-Link was able to do even some of the things that JLink does, it would be enough.......