Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STLINK USB drivers not installing

Farmer Jo
Associate
Posted on October 13, 2017 at 22:19

Hi,

I have recently purchased a number of NUCLEO-L476 boards but cannot get the USB drivers to install correctly whch are required for both ther STLINK utility and also for System Workbench for STM32.

I am using a Windows 10 64-bit laptop with USB 3 ports and have installed the STLINK utility, en_stsw-link004.zip, which includes the relevent USB drivers. The installation appears to succeed, however, when I plug in the development board via USB Windows complains with 'USB device not recognised'. In Device Manager, under the Universal Serial Bus controllers section I have an entry which shows as 'Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed), which is presumably the STLINK/V2 probe in the development board. Also I have no virtaul COM port entry.

I have tried the same on a Windows XP and Windows 7 PC and all report similar errors. Its as if the development board is not compatible with the driver or the driver has a problem.

I have searched the internet and this forum and I am completely out of ideas to try next.

According to the Getting Started card in the box an LED should flash, and when a button is pressed it changes. I am getting no flashing LED at all. Also the power LD3 is not on either. LD1 on the probe does, however, flash 3 or 4 times when it is plugged into the USB port. I am certain that the links specified on the card are configured correctly.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

FarmerJo

#stm32l476 #stm32 #stm32-usb-driver
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Farmer Jo
Associate
Posted on October 21, 2017 at 10:55

Hi Imen D,

Having tried many things including your suggestion it turned out to be a faulty USB cable. The cable was new about six months ago and one of many I had knocking about. Trust me to use the only one that was broken.

Thanks for yout reply.

Regards

FarmerJo

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Imen.D
ST Employee
Posted on October 20, 2017 at 18:15

Hello,

Try to upgrade firmware version using STM32 ST-LINK Utility: go to ST-LINK > firmware update, or through this Link

http://www.st.com/en/development-tools/stsw-link009.html

Best Regards

Imen

When your question is answered, please close this topic by clicking "Accept as Solution".
Thanks
Imen
Farmer Jo
Associate
Posted on October 21, 2017 at 10:55

Hi Imen D,

Having tried many things including your suggestion it turned out to be a faulty USB cable. The cable was new about six months ago and one of many I had knocking about. Trust me to use the only one that was broken.

Thanks for yout reply.

Regards

FarmerJo

Hello Imen,

Just for you to know, it's impossible to upgrade the firmware when the PC don't even recognize the USB device.

Regards,

Luis Padierna

LPadi.8
Associate

I had exactly same problem but with an ST-LINK V2 standalone. I realized the problem was using the ST's official USB cable, the solution is to use a USB cabe that actually works. For me as soon as I changed the cable, the problem was solved.

Paradox
Associate II

Hello, I am experiencing the same issue with the STM32MP157C-EV1 ST-Link v2.1 on both Windows 10 64-bit and Ubuntu 18.04. I tried multiple USB cables and none of them works, there is the same entry in device manager on Windows stating it can not obtain device descriptor (code 43). I used the same cable(s) for the DK2 and it had no issue connecting, ST-Link was recognized right away. I believe all drivers are installed properly as DK2 is recognized. Is the board faulty or there is a way to fix this?