Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32F7 Timer triggers Timer

Fabian Borstel
Associate
Posted on October 14, 2017 at 17:55

Hi,
i generated with CubeMX some code. 
I want that timer 2 is triggering timer 3. 
If an overflow on Timer 2 occurs Timer 3 should count up 1. 
I tried some configurations but nothing worked - no interrupt on timer3 
When i set the output trigger (timer 2) to the same Channel as input trigger (timer 3) it isnt working.
This is my configuration code:

TIM_HandleTypeDef htim2; TIM_HandleTypeDef htim3; /* TIM2 init function */ void MX_TIM2_Init(void) { TIM_ClockConfigTypeDef sClockSourceConfig; TIM_MasterConfigTypeDef sMasterConfig; htim2.Instance = TIM2; htim2.Init.Prescaler = 54; htim2.Init.CounterMode = TIM_COUNTERMODE_UP; htim2.Init.Period = 250; htim2.Init.ClockDivision = TIM_CLOCKDIVISION_DIV4; htim2.Init.AutoReloadPreload = TIM_AUTORELOAD_PRELOAD_DISABLE; if (HAL_TIM_Base_Init(&htim2) != HAL_OK) { _Error_Handler(__FILE__, __LINE__); } sClockSourceConfig.ClockSource = TIM_CLOCKSOURCE_INTERNAL; if (HAL_TIM_ConfigClockSource(&htim2, &sClockSourceConfig) != HAL_OK) { _Error_Handler(__FILE__, __LINE__); } sMasterConfig.MasterOutputTrigger = TIM_TRGO_UPDATE; sMasterConfig.MasterSlaveMode = TIM_MASTERSLAVEMODE_ENABLE; if (HAL_TIMEx_MasterConfigSynchronization(&htim2, &sMasterConfig) != HAL_OK) { _Error_Handler(__FILE__, __LINE__); } } /* TIM3 init function */ void MX_TIM3_Init(void) { TIM_SlaveConfigTypeDef sSlaveConfig; TIM_MasterConfigTypeDef sMasterConfig; htim3.Instance = TIM3; htim3.Init.Prescaler = 1; htim3.Init.CounterMode = TIM_COUNTERMODE_UP; htim3.Init.Period = 8000; htim3.Init.ClockDivision = TIM_CLOCKDIVISION_DIV1; htim3.Init.AutoReloadPreload = TIM_AUTORELOAD_PRELOAD_DISABLE; if (HAL_TIM_Base_Init(&htim3) != HAL_OK) { _Error_Handler(__FILE__, __LINE__); } sSlaveConfig.SlaveMode = TIM_SLAVEMODE_EXTERNAL1; sSlaveConfig.InputTrigger = TIM_TS_ITR0; if (HAL_TIM_SlaveConfigSynchronization(&htim3, &sSlaveConfig) != HAL_OK) { _Error_Handler(__FILE__, __LINE__); } sMasterConfig.MasterOutputTrigger = TIM_TRGO_UPDATE; sMasterConfig.MasterSlaveMode = TIM_MASTERSLAVEMODE_DISABLE; if (HAL_TIMEx_MasterConfigSynchronization(&htim3, &sMasterConfig) != HAL_OK) { _Error_Handler(__FILE__, __LINE__); } }

4 REPLIES 4
Khouloud GARSI
Lead II
Posted on November 15, 2017 at 16:32

Hello

fabian.borstel

‌,

• I'd highly recommend you to refer to TIM example under the STM32Cube_FW_F7_V1.8.0 firmware package. It's found under the path below:STM32Cube_FW_F7_V1.8.0\Projects\STM32F769I_EVAL\Examples\TIM\TIM_CascadeSynchro

The example titled 'TIM_CascadeSynchro' shows how to synchronize TIM2 and Timers (TIM3 and TIM4) in cascade mode.

You may take this example as a reference to correctly configure your peripheral.

• I have seen you code globally and you should fix the following configurations:

*sSlaveConfig.SlaveMode = TIM_SLAVEMODE_GATED;

*sSlaveConfig.InputTrigger = TIM_TS_ITR1; You may refer to table 'TIMx internal trigger connection' for more details on ITRx connections for each Timer.

Khouloud.

Posted on November 15, 2017 at 17:14

Maybe you would want to understand what's going on instead of just clicking; refer to the timer chapters of your RM, mainly the timer registers subchapter.

If an overflow on Timer 2 occurs Timer 3 should count up 1.

First, on Timer2, set TRGO (trigger out) to update event: TIM2_CR2.MMS = 0b010.

Then, on Timer3, set the TRGI (trigger in) source to the trigger output from TIM2, look it up in TIMx internal trigger connection table. I use 'F407, for me for Slave=TIM3 and TIM2_TRGO it's ITR1, i.e. TIM3_SMCR.TS=0b001.

Then you want to use this signal - which is input to the 'slave mode controller' of the timer, as clock input, instead of the internal (APB) clock; thus you set TIM3_SMCR.SMS=0b111.

This is all for the 'interconnection'. With setting up both TIM2 and TIM3 to run (i.e. as a bare minimum setting ARR to nonzero and enabling counter by TIMx_CR1.CEN=1) you should see TIM3 running at the rate of TIM2's overflow.

Try in debugger, you don't need to write any code and it's fun. Don't forget to enable clocks in RCC first.

Now translate this to Cube parlance if you want. I don't Cube.

JW

Posted on March 30, 2018 at 20:06

Dear Fabian

I produced a tutorial explaining how to chain two timers

https://community.st.com/0D50X00009bMM8gSAG

I would appreciate your feedback and possible improvments

Bye

JC

henry.dick
Senior II
Posted on March 30, 2018 at 20:43

'

I want that timer 2 is triggering timer 3. '
read the datasheet about how to chain two timers.
you may get there faster that way than through the messy city of CubeMX.