Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

is it available to get 9MHZ PWM from STM32F334

J L
Associate II
Posted on October 21, 2017 at 10:58

Hi ST,

my purpose is  to use STM32F334 to output 9MHZ PWM ,and need to adjust the pulse width each period by the burst DMA of the chip, is it available ? thanks

8 REPLIES 8
Posted on October 22, 2017 at 14:48

AN4776 Chapter 5

If you don't want to adjust both period and duty cycle, but only duty cycle, you don't need a DMA 'burst', just a plain DMA write to given TIMx_CCRy register.

9MHz sounds a bit high frequency though, did you intend to use the HRTIM?

JW

Posted on October 22, 2017 at 15:07

This is ST's forum, but most of the support comes from users here.

Seems rather high to need modulating on a cycle-by-cycle basis, have you considered a CPLD?

DMA would just write a new CCRx value on each Update, but I think 9 MHz would cause some considerable contention, and your buffer would need to be rather large to stop the interrupt loading from saturating the processor.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
J L
Associate II
Posted on October 22, 2017 at 15:13

Hi JW, thank you for your reply.

Yes , use the HRTIM, the purpose is to output SPWM at 9MHZ carrier wave , just want to confirm if STM32F334 is fast enough to adjust the duty cycle at each period(9MHZ) by DMA. I checked  the table 83 at Referece manual 'RM0364',0-100% duty cycle is impossible , but it is also OK to get 20%-80% for my application; 

It would  be apprecated if there is SPWM sample with HRTIM 

Thanks,

JL

J L
Associate II
Posted on October 22, 2017 at 16:46

Hi Clive,

thank you for your reply,

use HRTIM with DAM to update the duty cycle instead of interrupt method. The duty resulotion is up to 217ps.

But , how many clock cycles to update the set of the registers by each DMA transfer,I can't get the clear informtion from ST datasheet , from 

the table 83 of Referece manual 'RM0364' , I guess it is 3 cycles at 72MHZ .

I have to wait ST guy's answer.

Thanks,

J L

Posted on October 22, 2017 at 15:47

I think 9 MHz should be doable, but at 72 MHz that would be 8 cycles, so adjustment of duty is going to be rather coarse.

0 is OFF (0%), 8 is ON (100%), 1 is 12.5%

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Posted on October 22, 2017 at 17:19

It depends on how the output is being used. DAC for precise analog output if possible.

Then if 9 MHz, you would have 10 steps at 90MHz and 20 steps at 180MHz raw.

Of course, you can use DMA looping through 2,4,8,16 duty cycles to implement dithering if allowed.

==> Dithering example: If 10 steps, by changing every timer period the duty cycle between both 30 and 40% value, you get averaged 35% with half timer period modulation.

With a more detailed knowledge of the HW, the architecture choice can be refined.

Posted on October 22, 2017 at 22:33

how many clock cycles to update the set of the registers by each DMA transfer,I can't get the clear informtion from ST datasheet , from 

the table 83 of Referece manual ''RM0364'' , I guess it is 3 cycles at 72MHZ

More like 6 AHB + 2 APB cycles, if there's no collision with other masters on the buses and no other DMA channel active - this might be a showstopper.

0690X00000608dPQAQ.png

I know AN2548 is for 'F1 and 'L1, but the DMA in 'F3 appears to be of the same design.

I'd recommend you to write a simple test application, perhaps on a Disco or Nucleo, before commencing with design. Using external modulator as Clive suggested above is always a sure bet of course.

JW

J L
Associate II
Posted on October 23, 2017 at 05:52

Thanks JW,

How many latency cycles at HRTIM DMA on STM32F334 , hope to get  the ST official answer soon ...