cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

debug button does not work, debugging does work

Matthew Richardson
Associate II
Posted on November 09, 2017 at 21:25

In SPC5Studio, the debug button in the ribbon does not function, and the debug button in the Activity Wizard is not enabled (is visible though). 

Methods:

1) Pressing the Debug Button in the ribbon has no function.

2) Pressing the Debug section in Activity Wizard results in a Console Error 'Debug KO'

3) Right Clicking on the project Debug As >>>  2 Universal Debug Engine, results with fault dialog 'Launch failed Binary not found'

4) I am able to debug via the UDE if I right click on the project Debug As>>> Debug Configurations>>> [Chose my created UDE Debug Configuration] >>> Debug.  The only way Debug seems to initialize is from this Debug Configurations dialog.

It seems that the top level buttons and controls aren't finding the configuration I created.  When I drill down and chose it manually (method 4), then I am able to debug.  In Project Properties, Run/Debug Settings I have just the UDE Debugger configuration I created in the Launch configurations.  I am assuming that this is what I need.

3 REPLIES 3
Erwan YVIN
ST Employee
Posted on November 10, 2017 at 10:14

Hello Matthew ,

Did you install PLS UDE ?

https://pls-mc.com/login-a-html?User=SPC5UDESTKUser

there is 2 ways to debug

• Use the eclipse debugger based PLS UDE(plugins)
  • Use External tool PLS

Anyway , PLS UDE should installed first.

Have you tried the help sections ?

0690X0000060PCXQA2.png

Best regards

Erwan

Matthew Richardson
Associate II
Posted on November 17, 2017 at 18:18

I did install the PLS UDE per the instructions. I am able to debug from a perspective, so I think the components are installed and working. I think the Debug button in the ribbon and the Debug button in Activity Wizardare a legit bug with SPC5Studio or another component, or eclipse. I even uninstalled and reinstalled SPC5Studio and the UDE debugger from scratch, same problem. However, I am able to debug if I

right click on the project Debug As>>> Debug Configurations>>> [Chose my created UDE Debug Configuration] >>> Debug. The debugger is working, just can't be initialized from the buttons. I am working on some PCB design right now, but will circle back to this issue later this month to see if I can get it resolved. Many thanks Erwan. I am reading a lot of your posts. You are doing a great job for ST.

Attached is the dialog I am able to use to initiate a debug perspective and use the debugger

Attachments :

Debug_As.PNG : https://st--c.eu10.content.force.com/sfc/dist/version/download/?oid=00Db0000000YtG6&ids=0680X000006HyHb&d=%2Fa%2F0X0000000b5Y%2FOV4.sb6wGx1QRjsS5FqFk5zRC4MeFJXEX43csQC5z_c&asPdf=false
Posted on November 20, 2017 at 10:34

Hello Matthew ,

For your information , we do not develop PLS Eclipse Integration plugins

The last version will still be in this following directory :

c:\Program Files (x86)\pls\UDE Starterkit 4.8\UDEEclipse4Integration.zip

Anyway , in some cases there is an issue linked to the PLS Workspace association in windows

cf ,

https://community.st.com/community/automotive-mcus-community/spc5-automotive-mcus/blog/2017/11/20/tip-pls-default-program-issue

Best regards

Erwan