cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to remove the spin from a sensor tile inside a baseball?

teresa long
Associate II
Posted on November 12, 2017 at 17:29

I've added a sensor tile (STEVAL-STLKT01V1 SensorTile) inside of a baseball. How do I remove the spin of the base ball from effecting the accelerometer, gyro and magnetometer?

I'm a beginner at this...

Thank you,

Teresa

#sensortile #spin #sensortile-kit #remove-spin #ball-spin
6 REPLIES 6
Posted on November 12, 2017 at 22:48

>>

I'm a beginner at this...

Ok, but this gives about zero insight into to what you know or what your background is.

Any maths or physics? High-school, undergraduate or graduate level? Anyone supervising this project?

>>

How do I remove the spin of the base ball from effecting the accelerometer, gyro and magnetometer?

Presumably you don't have this gimballed in some fashion, the sensors are going to report what they experience, they have no knowledge about the context you place them in. You'll have to create some algorithms to separate the motion of the ball vs the spin. The primary momentum is going to be in the track of the ball.

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Posted on November 14, 2017 at 18:46

Any maths or physics? Basic

High-school, undergraduate or graduate level? Undergraduate

Anyone supervising this project? Not yet...trying to get the basics prepared so when I hire someone it will cost less...im disabled and going back to school.

The ball is operational with the above board.

Is there any algorithms that already exist to remove the spin from the ball/sensor readings? And if so where can i find it?

Thank you,

Teresa

Posted on November 15, 2017 at 15:45

It is not clear what is your objective and what you exactly mean by removing the spin?

If you would like to capture the trajectory of the baseball, it is very very complex task and I'm afraid you want be able to do it.

Using ST sensor fusion algorithm (

http://www.st.com/content/st_com/en/products/embedded-software/mcus-embedded-software/stm32-embedded-software/stm32cube-embedded-software-expansion/x-cube-mems1.html

) you can obtain the device position.
teresa long
Associate II
Posted on November 16, 2017 at 15:43

My project has nothing to do with a baseball...I was useing that as an example. 

My project gets the ball spinning constantly and im trying to get a stable signal from one or all of the sensors. Removing the spin will be a start in the right direction for me. If i simulate the movement by hand without spinning the ball, it works perfectly for what information i need. Once the ball is spinning everything gets scrambled.

Thanks for everyones help and time.

Teresa

Posted on November 17, 2017 at 14:11

OK, still it is not clear what you mean by 'removing the spin' and what means 'to get stale signal from the senors'. Which sensors?

Anyway gyroscope measures the angular velocity in degree per second, this gives you information about the spin. 

Posted on November 17, 2017 at 19:46

Let me try again and thanks again for your patience with me

'removing the spin' and 'to get stable signal from the senors'. Which sensor?

Im trying to find a preexisting algorythym that will stabilize the information coming from the SENSORTILE board I have in a ball that spins constantly, while rotating wildly and unpredictably.