Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32 Cube Programmer limitations

SARTHAK KELAPURE
Associate II
Posted on January 26, 2018 at 10:55

Hello everyone,

I am using STM32 Cube Programmer with STM32L0 device but whenever I try to flash a .bin file more than 50kb, it fails to verify and also does not run. Is it the problem for STM32L0 on STM32 Cube Programmer?

6 REPLIES 6
Posted on January 26, 2018 at 11:18

Can you program it using STLink Utility?

JW

Amel NASRI
ST Employee
Posted on January 26, 2018 at 11:25

Hi

kelapuress

‌,

Which STM32L0 device are you using? There are ones with 8Kb of flash even.

-Amel

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Posted on January 26, 2018 at 11:26

STM32L082CZ

I must say I'm disappointed in the Cube Programmer implementation. The user interface is quite lacking. It can't save .BIN/.HEX files. The pane to load files doesn't do much useful, and you have to reenter the file you want in the programming pane. The file pane doesn't actually filter the available file list, so instead of seeing one or two files I see a directory full of objects.

The tools has issue writing/verifying if the selected file has changed between sessions, ie disconnect, rebuild in Keil, reconnect, write says success, verify says failed, like it wrote the old content, and then opened the file again to do the verify, and it was different. Always assume when people hit the write button you should open and write that file, not some old instance you were holding.

Multiple success windows open, and must be closed separately. When writing large files to external memory, windows pop up to say things completed, but the software is still working in the background reading/verify content.

The tools seems to need to read the entire memory before failing, ie even if the first bytes are wrong it continues reading 64MB of data. Who does that?

Does not appear to support SWV Viewer window, or debug functionality present in ST-LINK Utilities.

Please can we have some focus on usability and function? Can we not abandon usable tools and replace them with less functional ones?

Please release an update of the ST-LINK Utilities.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
David Littell
Senior III

It could be worse. It could take a cue from this lousy forum software and force you to log back in far too often and at seemingly random intervals! ;p

Hi Clive,

I come back to this post and would like to inform that almost all issues you reported will be fixed in coming version of STM32Cubeprogrammer (1.3.0) that should be available soon on the web.

The exception is only for the support of SWV Viewer window that will available in v2.1 (beginning of 2019).

-Amel

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.