Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SPBT3.0DP Firmware Feature Request

Alexander Novikov
Associate II
Posted on November 16, 2017 at 13:55

Hello,

I am trying to contact someone from ST developers who is responsible for writing SPBT3.0 data package firmware. There are two features that could be very great to add:

1) SPBT3 Module to transmit BREAK character over UART to MCU when it switches from bypass mode to command mode by itself. I.e. when connection is broken by remote device over bluetooth (unexpectedly). It allows host MCU to monitor link status without using additional input pin (link active) and handle UART traffic appropriatelly.Break character is easily designated from normal characters on the host MCU side. This feature could be activated by some additional configuration variable.

2) Customized SDP record to hide SPP profile. This is great for designs that do not use COM port API on Windows etc, but use Pairing/RFCOMM connection API directly. We use this approach on Windows/Android and it is greatly compatible over many stacks (MS, Toshiba, Widcomm, Bluesoeil etc). This requires much more coding, but for the end user there is no hassle with manual connection establishment, pairing, no COM port conflicts, no COM port driver setup etc.

For now we evaluating SPBT3 modules to replace obsolete LMX98xx modules, that we used for many years. 

Is it possible to implement these features? If yes, what is estimated timeframe?

#spbt3.0dp2-spbt3.0dp1
1 REPLY 1
Andrea Cucchi
Associate II
Posted on November 23, 2017 at 15:11

Hi Alexander,

thanks a lot for your inputs. We added both change requests to the wish list for next version version of the firmware.

As first impression, about your first point I clearly see the benefit for the host MCU side. It is a minor change for the BT module, with very low risk and effort to implement it, so I quite confident we could add it.

About the second point: we have to investigate it more deeply but it seems to have a bigger impact. 

Any other input is more than welcome!

Thanks,

Andrea