cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32F7 ethernet issues in RMII mode

Mairo Leier
Associate II
Posted on December 10, 2017 at 11:15

I have a STM32F767 and STM32F746 nucleo dev kits. Both seems to be 'Z' models.

I developed RTOS based TCP server based on netconn that receives and transmits data over ethernet. STM does not answer to the ping nor sending/receiving any data. On the ethernet plug both green and yello LEDs are on. Problem is that after several restarts ethernet starts working until the next restart, if I am lucky. I have noticed that eth works only when green LED is off on the ethernet plug.

At first I thought problem is on my SW side. I developed similar server using RAW sockets, then tried with UDP client - same issues.

At first I tried with STM32F767 but then replaced it with STM32F746 just for testing purposes - still same issues.

Reading errata sheets I saw similar problems but looks like that they should all be fixed with 'Z' model.

From the dev board schematic (

http://www.st.com/content/ccc/resource/technical/document/user_manual/group0/26/49/90/2e/33/0d/4a/da/DM00244518/files/DM00244518.pdf/jcr:content/translations/en.DM00244518.pdf

) I have disconnected jumper SB177 not to reset ETH controller after STM restarts. If I reset manually my ETH controller from the same jumper so that green LED stays off then I can do whatever with my STM (reprogram,...) then ethernet remains functional.

To me it looks like the same issue as here which should be fixed now.

Currently, whatever I develop with my ethernet based nucleos I hit all the time with same issue. Any ideas?

#nucleo-f746 #ethernet #rmii #nucleo-f767zi
6 REPLIES 6
Mairo Leier
Associate II
Posted on December 15, 2017 at 15:03

Looks like no one has had similar issues?

As we are designing custom PCB currently the only option is to switch to the MII interface and replace the PHY chip.

Mairo Leier
Associate II
Posted on December 19, 2017 at 10:21

Guys, I am really in trouble

Let's try to make it simple. Has anyone tried some ethernet project from ST that works out of the box with STM32F767-nucleo (STM32F767ZIT6U)? If yes then point to that project and I will try it.

My bet is that this RMII mode PHY chip sucks that makes those ethernet boards useless. I am still resetting manually my PHY chip with soldered wire to start it 'at the correct clock edge'.

yMont
Associate

Well... trying to run ethernet on this board is being a nightmare. Except in mbed, no one could make this works. I can't find any example/application working too.

Where have you soldered your wire?

Joerg Wagner
Senior III

What does this mean?

Both seems to be 'Z' models.

Take a look on the die, is there an 'A' or a 'Z'?

Please provide project files to check your problem. We don't know your firmware release, etc..

I have many boards in production without any issue.