cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there sample application available for SPC570S-DISP?

Job Shen
Associate III
Posted on November 29, 2017 at 02:34

Hi,

We have the SPC570S-DISP board which has the SPC570S50E1 MCU. The SPC5Studio Import application Wizard only has SPC570S50L1DISP for the SPC57 S-Line.

After import application such as SPC570Sxx_RLA SERIAL Test Application for Discovery, generate and compile it, run the PLS UDE debug, there is nothing printed on the console (the 2nd COM port), and the UDE STK 4.8 gives warning ''Core0::PowerPcInstr PowerPC mode is different between target and pattern, VLE mode is forced''. 

Question:

1. How to get sample code for the SPC570S-DISP with SPC570S50E1 MCU?

2. The console issue, was it because the code was generated for SPC570S50L1 MCU so it doesn't work properly on the SPC570S50E1?

Thanks for any help.

Job0690X00000608zpQAA.png

8 REPLIES 8
Erwan YVIN
ST Employee
Posted on November 29, 2017 at 10:47

Hello Job ,

All the SPC57S applications are ok (tested and validated by our Continuous Integration) in SPC5Studio.

it seems to be a PLS workspace issue. (check your cfg file (board specific))

Which application do you use ?

• Please check your driver on Windows (FTDI)
  • Example for SPC570Sxx_RLA serial Test application in Appwizard
0690X00000604FiQAI.jpg0690X000006090sQAA.png

Best Regards

Erwan

Posted on November 29, 2017 at 20:04

Hi Erwan,

Thanks so much for looking into the issue.

I use the same application - SPC570Sxx_RLA SERIAL Test Application for Discovery. 

The COM port name is PLS USB Serial Port, provider is PLS Development Tools and if open driver detail, 3 of the driver files are from FTDI.

I am new to the SPC5Studio, so which cfg file shall i check, and what are the expected changes? I imported the application without any changes.

I uploaded 4 images.

1 - application with USB port names

2 - program board ok and com port info

3 - step in caused warning -  ''powerpc mode is different between target and pattern''

4 - my board

Best Regards,

Job

0690X00000608yuQAA.png0690X00000608yTQAQ.png0690X000006091gQAA.png0690X00000604H0QAI.jpg
Erwan YVIN
ST Employee
Posted on November 30, 2017 at 09:41

Hello Job ,

According to your screenshot, all is ok.

Your program is halted by an internal breakpoint.

you should click on Go to continue the program.

the warning : 

'powerpc mode is different between target and pattern VLE is forced' is normal.

Anyway, all the program on SPC56,SPC57 are compiled in VLE mode.

Best regards

Erwan

Posted on November 30, 2017 at 19:51

Hi Erwan,

Thank you for quick response. And i feel relieved knowing that my setup is ok.

One thing still puzzles me, by run this 'SPC570Sxx_RLA SERIAL Test Application for Discovery', do i suppose to see the 'Hello World!' get printed on console every time after the three LEDs (LED 13, 14, 15) toggled state? There are 2 COM ports (see the screen shot in my previous reply), the first one is for the PLS UDE to program/flash/debug the board, i assume the second port is console, and i set it to 38400 bps. Is there any document or instructions talk about the console port?

By changing the length of delay from 200ms to 1000ms before toggling the LED, i could see the effect on the board, so i am sure that part is working perfectly for me.  

By the way, there is no 'Go' in the debug menu, so i use 'Step out of Subroutine' to let the program run.

Best regards,

Job

Posted on December 02, 2017 at 02:36

As a follow up, all 4 imported Test Application for Discovery are working fine on my setup. I have 

SPC570Sxx OS-Less

SPC570Sxx_RLA FreeRTOS SERIAL

SPC570Sxx_RLA SERIAL

SPC570Sxx_RLA STM

I could receive data from TX PINs using Raspberry Pi 3 GPIO and use miniterm.py to print them out.

But one thing still puzzles me, the intgerated USB/JTAG debugger, the first USB port is used by UDE STK 4.8 to program/debug the board, what is the second USB port for? and how to write data to the second USB port? 

I would really appreciate if someone can shed some light? Even answer like 'this port is reserved, don't use it' will clear my doubts.

Best,

Job

Posted on December 04, 2017 at 11:39

Hello Job ,

Let's summarize your rrequirment,

You use the USB Cable in trying to connect to the Serial (FTDI / Virtual Com Port):

SPC57S-DISP <=> USB Cable (FTDI/ Virtual Com Port) <=> Raspberry Pi 3

the problem is that you can not debug in communicating at the same time by Serial port on the RPI 3.

Plugged on LINFLEX0

Honestly ,  for your requirment 

there are 2 choices ,

1)    Use the GPIO  LINFLEX0 (it is the same)

A10 and B10  cf Document SPC57S-DISP

0690X000006092bQAA.png

Same strategy as :

https://oscarliang.com/raspberry-pi-and-arduino-connected-serial-gpio/

2) Configure LINFLEX1  , and plugged into LINTX1 , LINRX1 an other Serial Module (A21 and B21)

I will choose, HC06 and use the BT serial in order to Communicate with your Raspberry PI 3

0690X000006093hQAA.png

Best regards

Erwan

Posted on December 04, 2017 at 20:59

Hi Erwan,

Thank you for looking into my issue. I have got it working now. If i could have a photo of my setup, that would be much simple, but office policy.

I have mini USB connected between my PC and SPC570S-DISP, the USB provide power and also provide debug to the board. I connect the SPC570S-DISP through 3 jump cables, actually i only needed 2, one for GND and one to connect the TX from board (Raspberry Pi 3 only used to received data). 

I had ST support notified me that in order for the second COM port to work, the PIN 3,4 of JP1, PIN 3,4 of JP4 need to be connected, i did that and it worked, the same data are printed on my COM12. Menawhile I also have jumper cables between Raspberry Pi 3 and the board, i found same data is available on TX/D1 of P5 and C11. 

I will experiment with the other PINs you described and try to change the configuration in the app. I will update with my result.

Cheers,

Job

LJaey
Associate

Hello Erwan YVIN.

i have a same problem....

the warning : 'powerpc mode is different between target and pattern VLE is forced' is normal'

i wonder how solved this problem

thanks