Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32F407VG ADC Basics - Part 1

Engineering Student91
Associate II
Posted on November 26, 2017 at 17:07

Dear all,

I'm an Engineering student who's trying to learn the Embedded programming with STM. Kindly tolerate my ignorance.

I've read the reference manual (ADC) and the data sheet of the specified Kit and I have the following queries:

1. ADC Clock:

The ADC features two clock schemes:

a) Clock for the analog circuitry: ADCCLK, common to all ADCs

This clock is generated from the APB2 clock divided by a programmable prescaler that allows the ADC to work at fPCLK2/2, /4, /6 or /8.

b) Clock for the digital interface (used for registers read/write access)

This clock is equal to the APB2 clock. The digital interface clock can be

enabled/disabled individually for each ADC through the RCC APB2 peripheral clock

enable register (RCC_APB2ENR).

Q1: For a real time signal acquisition (for e.g., biosignal), I understand that the scheme a) should be used. But, in what circumstances, the scheme b) shall be used?

Q2: From the architecture diagram, the ADCCLK is derived from APB2 clock with a Prescalar. What exactly is the value of APB2? What is the code snippet that could give me the value of any of these clocks? [I am sure RCC header file is used]

I've read that 'The maximum frequency of the three AHB buses is 168 MHz while the maximum frequency of the high-speed APB domains is 84 MHz. The maximum allowed frequency of the low-speed APB domain is 42 MHz'

Q3: Assuming that APB2 clock is the low-speed one which is 42MHz, I also read that the Max ADC clock can be 30MHz (for the voltage range 2.4 to 3.6v) which means, a prescalar of minimum 2 should always be set, isn't? 

RCC_AHB1PeriphClockCmd(RCC_AHB1Periph_DMA2 | RCC_AHB1Periph_GPIOC, ENABLE);  // 168MHz DMA

RCC_APB2PeriphClockCmd(RCC_APB2Periph_ADC1, ENABLE);  //42MHz ADC (?)

ADC_CommonInitStructure.ADC_Mode =ADC_Mode_Independent;

ADC_CommonInitStructure.ADC_Prescaler =ADC_Prescaler_Div2;  // 21MHz ADC (?)

Thank you for your time and help.

#kit-stm32f4-discovery ##stm32f4 #adc-clock
2 REPLIES 2
Posted on November 26, 2017 at 20:46

>>Q3: Assuming that APB2 clock is the low-speed one which is 42MHz, I also read that the Max ADC clock can be 30MHz (for the voltage range 2.4 to 3.6v) which means, a prescalar of minimum 2 should always be set, isn't? 

No reason to guess, the Reference Manual has a Clock Tree. APB2 is usually the faster peripheral bus.

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Posted on November 27, 2017 at 00:23

Hi Clive,

Thank you for the hint, I referred to the clock tree related to STM32F407xx and yes, APB2 is the faster one. 

'From the datasheet: When the peripherals are enabled HCLK is the system clock, fPCLK1 = fHCLK/4, and fPCLK2 = fHCLK/2, except is explicitly mentioned.'

fPCLK1 = 42 MHz , fPCLK2 = 84 MHz

Since ADCx is connected to APB2, setting a prescalar of 2 is a blender right?

So, in the ADC configuration, there should be atleast a prescalar of 4.

RCC_AHB1PeriphClockCmd(RCC_AHB1Periph_DMA2 | RCC_AHB1Periph_GPIOC, ENABLE);  // 168MHz DMA

RCC_APB2PeriphClockCmd(RCC_APB2Periph_ADC1, ENABLE);  //84MHz ADC (?)

ADC_CommonInitStructure.ADC_Mode =ADC_Mode_Independent;

ADC_CommonInitStructure.ADC_Prescaler =ADC_Prescaler_Div4;  // 21MHz ADC 

Kindly correct me if I am wrong.