cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I2C and UART on STM32F429 (Nucleo-F429ZI)

Thomas Buck
Associate
Posted on November 29, 2017 at 11:14

I encountered a strange I2C - UART Collision problem and wonder if there is something I missed in the Documentation.

Problem and what I tried to solve it:

• I2C and UART work fine and permanent when I initialize only one of them
  • With both initialized: I2C fails permanently with a HAL_TIMEOUT (waiting for the Busy-Flag to be reset) as soon as the first byte via UART was received (failing function HAL_I2C_Master_Transmit(...) from file stm32f4xx_hal_i2c.c)
  • The I2C Lines (inspected via Oscilloscope) look good all the time.
  • Interrupts for I2C or UART can be enabled or not - does not make a difference
  • Multiple UARTs on different pins were tried (UART2, UART4, UART7) - Problem was always the same
  • I have not tried to change to another I2C (from I2C1) because the hardware makes this much more difficult than switching the UARTs
  • I switched to another Nucleo-F429ZI-Board - no difference
  • Dirty workaround: As soon as I encounter a HAL_TIMEOUT on I2C, I 'deinit' and 'init'  I2C again - which looks like very bad style but seems to work for now.

Hardware configuration and programming environment:

• Nucleo-F429ZI-Board (tested with two boards)
  • Control via USB as FS-USB_DEVICE (CDC), Debug via built in STLink
  • OpenSTM32 IDE (Eclipse 4.6.3, OpenSTM32 IDE 2.3.0.201710251246, ARM Compiler for MCU 1.15.0.201708311556)
  • CubeMX for HAL configuration (Version 4.22.0, STM32Cube V1.0)
  • HAL Firmware STM32Cube_FW_F4_V1.16.0
  • I2C works in blocking mode (no Interrupt, no DMA)
  • I2C runs in Fast mode, external pull-ups
  • UART runs at 9600-8-N-1in Interrupt mode (but error occurs even when the interrupt is turned off)
  • Logic voltage levels for I2C and UART: 2.0V

Searching the forums here or the internet did not reveal a solution that solved my problem.

Any ideas or hints where to find additional information or what to check next?

What could (in general) happen that makes the HAL-UART block the I2C interface so that the I2C-busy-flags never resets?

Thanks in advance for any hint,

Thomas

0 REPLIES 0