Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Current Consumption is very high in standby mode

Alfred Alfred
Associate
Posted on December 02, 2017 at 21:44

Hi!

I am using CubeMX and System Workbench, and an STM32F030f4p.

In CubeMX I enable only one GPIO port so I can turn on-off the LED on the board, and RTC Alarm A.

In the code I turn on the power clock with

__HAL_RCC_PWR_CLK_ENABLE();

then I call

HAL_PWR_EnterSTANDBYMode();

The curent consumption is 4.6mA. I power the board via the 3V pin, there is nothing else attached to the board. 

(I tried an other version of the code on a nucleo board, (F446RE I think) where I am waking up the board periodically with RTC. (the led blinks three times, then the board goes to standby, after 10 second MCU wakes up, the led blinks three times again, etc.)

I get similar consumption.)

With this really stripped down version of the code where I only enable power clock, then enter standby, I get 4.6mA consumption. 

I measure the current with a multimeter in serial with the board 3v pin and the power source.

Could you help me finding  the solution? This is my first time working with an MCU.

#standby-mode
4 REPLIES 4
melt brink
Associate III
Posted on December 04, 2017 at 10:55

Are you using some kind of regulator?

Nesrine M_O
Lead II
Posted on December 04, 2017 at 16:57

Hi

sz.fredi

Welcome to STM32 community

1. As beginner with MCUs, I recommend you to start with ready examples under the

http://www.st.com/en/embedded-software/stm32cubef0.html

firmware package: STM32Cube_FW_F0_V1.9.0\Projects\STM32F030R8-Nucleo\Examples\PWR\PWR_CurrentConsumptionSTM32Cube_FW_F0_V1.9.0\Projects\STM32072B_EVAL\Examples\PWR\PWR_STANDBY
  2. If you are using a custom board I recommend you to have a look to the

http://www.st.com/content/ccc/resource/technical/document/application_note/c9/19/d7/b8/6b/0e/4c/d3/DM000519pdf/files/DM000519pdf/jcr:content/translations/en.DM000519pdf

application note

-Nesrine-

Posted on December 05, 2017 at 19:27

No I am not using, I power the boards via the 3.3V pin. But I'll check the nucleo schematics.

melt brink
Associate III
Posted on December 11, 2017 at 09:02

Are you disabling your clocks and putting all the GPIO in AN mode before entering 

HAL_PWR_EnterSTANDBYMode();