cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NUCLEO F767ZI draws far more current than 300mA , it's overcurrent LD5 keeps on glowing even when no load is connected and U4 gets very hot.Anyone know what could be causing them ? Is there any fix for it.

Kulothungan Senthil
Associate II
2 REPLIES 2
Danish1
Lead II
Posted on December 12, 2017 at 11:52

U4 shouldn't get hot - it's just a switch, not a linear regulator or anything like that.

How do you apply power?

How have you set the links on JP3?

Does LD6 glow at all? What voltage do you measure on the +5V line (e.g. pins 1,3,5 of JP3)?

Does LD5 still glow if you remove all links on JP3 and then apply power?

It's possible that your board has a short-circuit from a power rail to ground. Possibly a bit of wire or a solder splash.

Or maybe a blown-up chip. As to why it blew up, it could have been from an electrostatic discharge (all semiconductors are vulnerable to a greater or lesser extent) or applying over-voltage or reversed power - even for a tiny fraction of a second.

In a work environment, I'd consider the board as scrap and buy another one. I know that's not a welcome choice for the hobbyist who spent hard-earned/pocket money and has to wait days for a replacement board with the worry that the same thing might happen to it.

Have you had success with other ST demo boards? Do you have access to a known-working set-up?

Sorry I can't be much help,

Danish

Posted on December 12, 2017 at 13:29

Well first answering to the questions ,

1 Power by USB itself

2 Yes , it is set correctly as mentioned in datasheet

3 LD6 glows green and I am able to program it as well .With respect functionalities it is working well .It draws nearly 550 - 600 mA.

4 No it doesn't glow.

All my problems are solved when I power the board by external power supply .By this way U4 didn't get hot . But if I try to power it with USB  then the heating issue occurs.

This is my first ST board. I haven't used any demo board .No I don't have access to a known working setup.

Thanks for the reply