Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with the Watchdog rest

Gautham  Y.T
Associate II
Posted on June 04, 2018 at 07:16

Hi All,

I am working on the project Bootloader and i am using the independent watchdog IWDG in my project with stm32F413VH controller.The library i am using is the HAL library. Now i am facing some problem after jumping to the Application from the Bootloader. I kept the Watchdog to refresh afters 2s. Now the problem is if i enable the Watchdog, the system jumps to the Application and after 2s resets back to the Bootloader. This continues to happen every 2s. So i need to disable the Watchdog before jumping to Application. Please can anyone help me how to disable the watchdog(IWDG) in stm32F413VH controller.

3 REPLIES 3
Imen.D
ST Employee
Posted on June 04, 2018 at 11:12

Hello

ytgautham

Once enabled, the IWDG it can not disabled unless it goes again to reset if enabled by software and not by Hardware.

You may refer to the reference manual RM0430, in Section 3 Independent watchdog (IWDG):

Independent watchdog (IWDG): the IWDG is started by writing to its Key register or by hardware option. Once started it cannot be stopped except by a reset.

With Regards,

Imen

When your question is answered, please close this topic by clicking "Accept as Solution".
Thanks
Imen
Tilen MAJERLE
ST Employee
Posted on June 04, 2018 at 11:32

Dear

ytgautham

‌,

as explaned by

DAHMEN.IMEN

‌, IWDG cannot be stopped once it has been started, except by reset. In your particular example, you just have to make sure that your application resets IWDG aswell.

If you would be able to disable IWDG and your application crashes for some reason, your MCU would go to unknown state and you would need hardware reset to start over.

Best regards,

Tilen

Posted on June 04, 2018 at 12:48

I've posted examples on the forum where I use a variable in RAM and reset, and have the Reset_Handler in the loader immediately jump to the application.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..