cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32H7 and heap location

Francois Tremblay
Associate III
Posted on February 26, 2018 at 19:38

I am porting our application from a STM32F779 to a STM32H753 device. Our application looks to run fin if we have the heap located on the DTCM_RAM  (the whole 128k is reserved for heap allocation).

If the heap is moved to end of AXI-SRAM (last 128Kb) or  SRAM1, our application performs wrong computation.

In all cases, data and bss section are on beginning of AXI-SRAM and stack on SRAM2.

Is there something special about DTCM_RAM that can explain this behavior?

-François

10 REPLIES 10
Posted on February 26, 2018 at 20:06

>>Is there something special about DTCM_RAM that can explain this behavior?

It is NOT cached, as it is single cycle anyway.

You can DMA into it without causing coherency issues, ie DMA buffers for ETHERNET/SDMMC

If you use other areas of RAM you need to use MMU to set shareability, cacheability and write through properties.

Or use functions to invalidate DCache on areas you have compromised.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Posted on February 27, 2018 at 19:29

Clive,

Thanks to take time to answer to my question. ,

Here couples others details:

• The malloc-ed memory (the one coming from heap) is not used ,for any DMA buffers. ,
  • Both CPU caches (instruction and data) are currently deactivated.
  • The MPU is left in is default reset state (i.e. disabled). ,
  • Here which scenario work and which ones don't work ,
    • Scenario 1 (Working)
      • data+bss: AXI-SRAM (368k)
      • stack: SRAM1
      • heap DTCM-RAM
    • Scenario 2 (Not working:(
      • data+bss: AXI-SRAM ,

(368k)

• stack: SRAM1
      • heap ,SRAM2
    • Scenario 3 (Not working)
      • data+bss: AXI-SRAM

(368k)

• stack:

SRAM1

• heap: ,

AXI-SRAM (l

ast 128k) ,
  • I don't understand why scenario ♯ 3 is not working because 'data+bss' is already on ,AXI-SRAM. So, it should not have 'missing' configuration regarding MPU.
  • For similar reason, the the heap on SRAM2 should work as our stack is already on SRAM1 (which is on the same clock domain).
Posted on February 27, 2018 at 19:49

I don't know, try turning the question on its head, what are you doing with the allocated memory?

Do you have some kind of resource leak, or accessing beyond bounds issue? Anything returning a NULL that you aren't catching.

I tend to instrument malloc/free in situations where I use dynamic memory prolifically, it is a good way to see who's creating orphans or releasing the same memory twice. In a pinch I'll build code to walk the allocators linked list. Stack depth might also be something to watch/monitor, stack can dip into statics or locale.

Dynamic allocation in embedded tends to be highly problematic due to long up-time and the potential to leak or fragment.

Francois Tremblay
Associate III
Posted on February 28, 2018 at 18:21

The problem about wrong computation occurs in a FPU intensitive loop. The problem looks to disappear when I add printf in the middle of the loop (when heap is in SRAM2).

Having __DMB() and __DSB() at the same location than printf don't help.

Posted on February 28, 2018 at 18:26

printf/scanf are heavy stack users, if RTOS where is it allocating its thread stacks from, and how large.

Review system registers/context at the printf()

Ibrahim Abdalkader
Associate II
Posted on March 01, 2018 at 22:14

Are you enabling the clocks ? Maybe this will help.

__HAL_RCC_D2SRAM1_CLK_ENABLE();

__HAL_RCC_D2SRAM2_CLK_ENABLE();

__HAL_RCC_D2SRAM3_CLK_ENABLE();
Posted on March 02, 2018 at 15:03

>>I do not have code to share as it is sensitive stuff.

I can imagine it is quite complex, but to advance some diagnosis and response.

You'd need to moving beyond 'not working' and pin down more precisely the point and mode of failure, and then share something that replicates that. This will be especially true if you think there is a bug in the silicon. This can be simplified and sanitized code that illustrates the issue quickly and cleanly.

So think of ways you can add sanity checking, and recognizing the failure as soon as possible.

I'd need to re-check the docs on SRAM2, there is one memory that appears in two address ranges.

You should perhaps engage an engineer from the local sales office to look at this and work with you.

Posted on March 02, 2018 at 14:21

Ibrahim, that was already done. By the way STM, such initilization must be done within STM32Cube H7. Or at least commented out. 

Also, I added 

*((__IO uint32_t*)0x51003108) = 0x00000001;

It is the same kind of workaround for SRAM1/2/3 than the workaround for AXI-SRAM regarding bug in silicon (see 2.2.15 from Errata sheet). That will set the switch matrix read capability to 1 for the SRAM1/2/3 (Target 2).

I did more extensive test about memories porganization and here my results

stackheaptest result

SRAM1AXI-SRAMOK

DTCM-RAMAXI-SRAMFail

SRAM4

AXI-SRAM

OK

SRAM4

DTCM-RAM

OK

SRAM1

DTCM-RAM

OK

AXI-SRAM

DTCM-RAM

OK

DTCM-RAM

SRAM2Fail

SRAM1SRAM2Fail

AXI-SRAMSRAM2Fail

SRAM4SRAM2OK

considering

• the failure occurs on the 1st trial each test scenario
  • the success succeed for many iterations of our FPU intensive loop (where both heap and stack used). Some scenarios were tested for few hours.
  • errata sheet 2.2.15

My opinion it is there is another similar silicone bug to 2.2.15 in the STMH7 and/or the workaround is not fixing all the cases.

I do not have code to share as it is sensitive stuff.

Posted on March 13, 2018 at 14:41

I was having a similar issue when using SRAM1/2/3 for data, heap and stack my application wouldn't run. The fix was to enable the clocks really early in startup code:

Reset_Handler:

/* Enable SRAM clocks */

ldr r0,=0x580244dc

ldr r3,[r0]

orr r3, r3, ♯ 3758096384 /* 0xE0000000 */

str r3,[r0]

ldr sp, =_estack /* set stack pointer */