cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Whether discovery board have the compatability to support CAN and DSP?

Posted on December 15, 2017 at 08:35

i am new to ARM. my need is DSP and CAN with cortex-M4 . i was seacrhing for development board, i found the result with discovery board with STM32F407,i searched related to discovery board, the processor supports CAN and DSP, but i have an doubt whether discovery board have the compatability to support CAN and DSP?

#stm32f407-discovery
7 REPLIES 7
Andrew Neil
Chief II
Posted on December 15, 2017 at 22:13

GOPALAKRISHNAN THANASEKARAN wrote:

i am new to ARM.

Do you have any experience with other microcontrollers?

my need is DSP and CAN with cortex-M4

So do you have experience with DSP or CAN?

i have an doubt whether discovery board have the compatability to support CAN

What is there to doubt?

Surely, a quick look at the User Manual and/or schematic will confirm whether the board has the necessary hardware or not?

And, even if the board does not have the hardware itself, it can be added externally.

and DSP?

Again - what does the User Manual and/or schematic tell you?

What features do you specifically require?

Posted on December 15, 2017 at 23:29

There used to be a breakout board for the STM32F4-DISCO that added CAN, but you're a bit late to the party, might still be on eBay, but couldn't find it

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ZCLSTM32F407-STM32F4-Discovery-Expansion-Board/dp/B00PFBXX3K

This board has CAN (2x), there is a bug in the jumper settings, but both can/do work

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RedDragon407-STM32F4-Cortex-M4-3-2-Ethernet-wireless-2-4G-SDIO-Serial-camera/121087293812?hash=item1c315d7974:g:~ssAAOSwgyxWXVsx

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Posted on December 16, 2017 at 08:50

Thank you for your reply. i have an experience in microcontroller in PIC, AVR and ARM NXP2148 but not in CAN and DSP. i just get into cortex , and also i am interested in both CAN and DSP, so kindly suggest me a complete cortex-M4 development board to effectively learn and use CAN and DSP.

Posted on December 16, 2017 at 08:58

Thank you for your reply. i have an experience in microcontroller in PIC, AVR and ARM NXP2148 but not in CAN and DSP. i just get into cortex , and also i am interested in both CAN and DSP, so kindly suggest me a complete cortex-M4 development board to effectively learn and use CAN and DSP.

Posted on December 16, 2017 at 10:17

I don't know anything off the top of my head - I'm sure you can google it just as easily as I can.

But I think you should spend some time reading-up on CAN and DSP - so that you at least have some idea of what you're looking for.

It's not like these are new or esoteric topics - plenty of reference material is available.

eg, Here's a free online DSP textbook:

http://www.dspguide.com/

Rather than try to learn these new topics all at once and a new platform as well, why not start with the basics on one of your familiar platforms?

Posted on December 16, 2017 at 16:54

Depends on how effective your learning skills are, the RedDragon407 board cited works for me, I've got an STM3240G-EVAL board too with CAN, but that is significantly more expensive.

Not sure how/why DSP+CAN align. You can learn and test DSP algorithms and ideas on the STM32F4-DISCO board you already have. Perhaps start there.

ARM has Technical Reference Manuals (TRM) for the core, Joseph Yiu has some good books on the Cortex-Mx parts, don't think they explicitly cover DSP, and CAN is more of a peripheral external to the core. Both the SPL and HAL libraries have example code for CAN on assort boards, these should be relatively portable, and I've post CAN examples to the forum, along with code specifically for the RedDragon407 board.

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..