cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

windows serial tool to send hex data

kalpana lopinti
Associate II
Posted on January 18, 2018 at 05:58

i have used hyperterminal in windows,but i want to send a block of hex data (for eg:('hi'->0x68,0x69).i tried tera term.but i am able to send one byte a time not a string at one time.i am not sure if i missed something.can some body suggest me any tool through which i can send diffterent data formats.(ascii,hex etc).

9 REPLIES 9
Posted on January 18, 2018 at 07:38

I guess it's a problem of the other site i.e. the device you talk to fro the pc where the tera term is installed. I use putty or any other terminal and send very long strings e.g. I have poor man bootloader where I copy&paste hex file to the terminal window and this string is parsed by the other side. It may freeze when the other side (I guess MCU) tries to do something which take time. It is easier to collect the string then parse it (I guess CRLF or subset of these is sent when you press enter key so it/they might be used to discover the string end )

Ben K
Senior III
Posted on January 18, 2018 at 10:04

I use Docklight, which lets you send ASCII, hex, dec and binary format data through serial port. In the free version you cannot save your session.

John Craven
Senior
Posted on January 18, 2018 at 15:38

Realterm can send files, with both char and line delays.

But It needs CRLF to parse the lines, and these are sent.

i suspect you need something like realterm, where the sentence/line termination char(s) aren't sent.

Andrew Neil
Evangelist
Posted on January 18, 2018 at 16:20

So what did you actually try in TeraTerm?

You can simply:

1. Copy the data you want into the windows clipboard;
  2. On the TeraTerm menu: Edit > Paste

There is also File > Send file...

Simples!

on the Windows command line, you can simply copy to COMx:

Similarly, in any Windows programming environment, you can write to COMx:

John Craven
Senior
Posted on January 18, 2018 at 16:53

I have used this to debug and test comms both serial and ethernet projects and script telenet device config sessions.

Its the 'swiss army knife' of terminal apps! Scripting, mixed formats, timing...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vl4OHR3wPKk

Posted on January 18, 2018 at 16:15

In RealTerm are some checkbox for these terminators0690X00000609LKQAY.png

Posted on January 18, 2018 at 16:44

Correct, and RealTerm can display Hex bytes, and the 'Send Numbers' can dispatch strings of hex bytes directly. I've used it to interact with the STM32 System Loader, sending commands and data.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Posted on January 18, 2018 at 17:01

Link to 'ScriptCommunicator' itself: 

https://sourceforge.net/projects/scriptcommunicator/?source=directory

kalpana lopinti
Associate II
Posted on January 19, 2018 at 05:46

sorry,i tried in real term only not tera term.i got problem in real term,where i was able to receive data when sending only

single byte followed by CRLF,but not receiving on the other side,if i add CRLF at the end of string.while transmitting to microcontroller uart.