Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A new Incomer asking for some guidance

Mohammad Yasser
Associate II
Posted on December 25, 2017 at 22:37

Hi everyone,

I'm a fresh graduate Engineer from Egypt . I'm currently working on a project and it was decided that we will utilize the STM32F407G discovery board . The problem is that it was also decided that the Atollic truestudio lite is the IDE that we will be using as well . I have been searching far and wide and I found near to nigh of tutorials . I have been Using Microchip's PIC up until now and I'm new to the ARM as well . Do you have any suggestions as to how I should proceed?

8 REPLIES 8
Posted on January 02, 2018 at 17:08

>>

The problem is that it was also decided that the Atollic truestudio lite..

And who made that discussion, and why, if you need support pick a tool chain that has the level of support and visibility you and your team need.

https://forum.atollic.com/

The bulk of ST's example will build with eval versions of Keil or IAR. Or the STM32 Work Bench

http://openstm32.org/HomePage

Don't get stuck making bad choices, make different ones or change direction if you are going the wrong way.

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Andrew Neil
Chief II
Posted on January 03, 2018 at 09:44

As

Turvey.Clive.002

‌ said, if having lots of tutorials is important to you, then you should factor that into your choice of IDE!

The same applies when selecting components for your design - always be sure that you can get adequate support for your needs.

A cheap component (or tool) is useless is you can't work out how to use it!

The Atollic Lite is free - so changing to another IDE is not going to cost you...

(although note that ST has recently acquired Atollic - so things may well change...)

Andrew Neil
Chief II
Posted on January 03, 2018 at 12:08

Do you have any suggestions as to how I should proceed?

Well, since you ask:

When posting questions on forums, always make the title/subject line a clear, concise, specific summary of what the thread is about.

'A new Incomer asking for some guidance' is not very informative - it probably covers about 90% of the posts here!

'Where can I find tutorials for Atollic TrueStudio?'  would have been more informative.

Posted on January 06, 2018 at 17:03

Thank you very much . I misht as well do that right now !

Posted on January 06, 2018 at 17:04

That would be the project head . i came on board recently after the project direction have been sit in motion

Posted on January 06, 2018 at 18:26

This wouldn't preclude you practicing on your own computer with a different tool chain to get familiar with HAL / CubeMX on that, and then leverage that knowledge against the Atollic chain.

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Posted on January 07, 2018 at 14:37

My fingers itch to write a tutorial about using the Eclipse, CubeMX plugin and the Makefile project generation, just to show it how easy and how compact the code is when using LL but we don't want to discover another error in the Jive forum, right?

Posted on January 08, 2018 at 16:21

So have you discussed with the '

project head

' about your training needs?

If the project is already well-established in using this toolset, there must be co-workers who can help you?