cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SPBTLE-1S / BlueNRG-1 - Low cost toolchain?

Wolfgang Reinig
Associate II
Posted on February 15, 2018 at 10:27

Hi,

I really like the idea behind the SPBTLE-1S module. It's a perfect package for smart innovators/startups which do not have the capacity/budget for a complete HW development with certification effort around the BlueNRG-1 SoC and which do not really know if and how many devices they will sell.

I'm looking for a low cost toolchain for the BlueNRG-1. I got a STEVAL-IDB007V1M and a ST-LINK/V2 and I thought I can use this together with the new Atollic TrueSTUDIO for STM32 9.0.0 to develop a solution. Hmm - TrueSTUDIO 9.0 does not yet support the BlueNRG-1 because they have technical issues with this SoC...

ST Marketing - could you ask your new colleagues at Atollic to fix this issues?

The IAR Embedded Workbench for ARM trial version has a 32 kByte code limitation - but all examples for the BlueNRG-1 with BLE libs involved seem to result in larger .bin files...

Any recommendation for a low cost toolchain?

Best regards

Wolfgang

#truestudio #spbtle-1s #toolchain #bluenrg-1

Note: this post was migrated and contained many threaded conversations, some content may be missing.
13 REPLIES 13
benjamin reynaud
Associate II
Posted on February 21, 2018 at 17:20

Hi Wolfgang,

I have the same issue, I just bought a STEVAL-IDB007V1 board.

For the moment I did not manage to run any demo projects compiled with the 

Atollic TrueSTUDIO for STM32 9.0.0 toolchain.

It seems that the sentence 'also compatible with the Atollic TrueStudio toolchain...' has been written to fast in the ST documentation.

The compilation options are the following:

-mthumb

-std=c99

-DUSE_FULL_ASSERT

-I..\..\..

-I..\..\..\..\..\..\..\Library\hal\inc

-I..\..\..\..\..\..\..\Library\CMSIS\Include

-I..\..\..\..\..\..\..\Library\SDK_Eval_BlueNRG1\inc

-I..\..\..\..\..\..\..\Library\BlueNRG1_Periph_Driver\inc

-I..\..\..\..\..\..\..\Library\CMSIS\Device\ST\BlueNRG1\Include

-O2

-ffunction-sections

-fdata-sections

-g

-fstack-usage

-Wall

-mcpu=cortex-m0

Thanks for any helps on this topic.

Best Regards

BR

blaz bohatai
Associate
Posted on April 20, 2018 at 08:42

I had the same problem but quit after a few days and moved to IAR embedded workbench. There I was able run  examples in a matter of minutes. The lack of support by Atollic and ST is unbelievable. Four people with the same problem and no response. After i finnish my current project, Im never using STMs bluetooth modules again. 

Regards. 

udibit
Associate II
Posted on April 22, 2018 at 12:47

TrueSTUDIO 9.0 does not support BluNRG-1 yet.

I'm also using SPBTLE-1S module.

Do you have any work flow to those how do not have license for IAR/ Keil?

alok
Senior
Posted on May 09, 2018 at 06:30

http://www.st.com/content/st_com/en/products/wireless-connectivity/bluetooth-bluetooth-low-energy/bluenrg-1.html

Download the SDK from Evaluation Tool Software

I see ready examples for BlueNRG-1 and -2 available for TrueSTUDIO

Posted on May 09, 2018 at 06:24

For Cortex-M0 core, try this way...

http://www2.keil.com/stmicroelectronics-stm32/mdk

Posted on May 09, 2018 at 08:38

mittal.alok - unfortunately you are totally wrong!

Keil m0 does not fits to blueNRG1.

Moreover Atollic 9.00 (latest version) does not support blueNRG1!

(please review their supported device list).

Actually blueNRG1 is even not on Atollic road map for the near future (Official response from Atollic support team).

ST publish in their document that they are supported by Atollic - but they are totally mislead their clients.

ST please take responsibility, especially now that you own Atollic, and stand behind you advertisement and support your clients, meanwhile update your documents.

Posted on May 09, 2018 at 13:26

Gerado, Atollic 8.1 does support blueNRG1 (but newer version not any more, due to technical issues according to Atollic team).

Anyhow, using Atollic 8.1 with blueNRG1 and ST Link debugger  - just fail to program the chip, resulting with this error:

0690X0000060B69QAE.png

Atollic support team are familiar with this issue (using blueNRG1 and ST Link), and here is their response:

''

we've had previous customers using BlueNRG-1 and 2 who are experiencing this issue.

It seems to be because those projects does not fill all sections to be aligned by 4.''

(Atollic support team are really worth compliments for their proficiency and quick responses).

ST team, Gerado, please advice what is your solution, again, you have published that bluNRG1 is supported by Atollic so please address this issue and fully advice how.

Posted on May 09, 2018 at 16:26

A fix is needed into linker file (and this fix will be available into next SDK release).

This line:

*(i.*) /* i.* sections (code) */

needs to be added into linker file.

I have the one for BlueNRG-2 (in attach). Line #

You can diff with the default one, and modify your linker file for BlueNRG-1.

Letus know if it works also by your side.

jerry

Attachments :

BlueNRG2.ld.zip : https://st--c.eu10.content.force.com/sfc/dist/version/download/?oid=00Db0000000YtG6&ids=0680X000006Hxe5&d=%2Fa%2F0X0000000b0T%2FTphJ3_cvw4xboA_jZyWyQodf604MLeC.Ua4wkzjI22c&asPdf=false