cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ST-LinkV2 question:

Mary West
Associate II
Posted on March 02, 2018 at 01:35

I'm using 2 different ST-LinkV2s to put firmware on a ST32F429ZIT6 processor.  I'm using the SWD interface.  One of the ST-Links works and the other does not.  The one that does not will not even connect to the device.  I took both apart to look at the ST-Link boards.  They are different.  The one that works is sparsely populated while the other has more components on it.  The one that works belongs to someone else and I must return it soon.  What changed and why am I unable to get a SWD connection with the newer ST-Link?

I've perused the web and this forum and found many 'solutions' and tried all of them - none worked.

I've attached a picture of the 2 St-Links.

Both boards are labelled ST-Link V2.0

MB 936 rev B

The one that works has not MFG code and the one that doesn't work has MFG Code 1142.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks-

Mary

3 REPLIES 3
henry.dick
Senior II
Posted on March 02, 2018 at 03:35

Both look poorly made - they look hand soldered. The one on the right had gone through some heavy repair.

A clone would have worked better.

Posted on March 02, 2018 at 03:42

The one on the left is a fake.

You probably have a problem with connectivity with the one on the right because you aren't powering the buffers on it via the VTarget pins (1 or 2)

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Mary West
Associate II
Posted on March 02, 2018 at 21:29

Clive One -

Thanks for your response.  The fake ST-Link came from one of our vendors and they instucted me to specifically NOT connect pin 1 (which worked for them).  I'm glad I took them apart and even happier that you knew the solution.  After hooking up pin 1, my ST-Link connects and programs. 

Even though your avatar is no longer Neo, you are still 'the one'.