Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFC Tap App iOS

Eckart Hanl
Associate II
Posted on January 10, 2018 at 13:53

Hi,

I'm working wiht the M24LR16E dynamic tag in my application and tried to read this tag with your iOS App NFC Tab. In your user manual

UM2274 this tag 5 type is listed that the app can read out NDEF text. For test I used the M24LR-discovery kit and used this tag

http://www.st.com/content/st_com/en/products/evaluation-tools/product-evaluation-tools/st25-nfc-rfid-eval-boards/st25-nfc-rfid-eval-boards/m24lr-discovery.html

But I can't read out the tag with my iPhone 7. The Display of the tag of the M24LR-discovery kit shows the NDEF Message when I hold the phone to the antenna but the app can't read the tag. Why it's not possible to read out the tag? What can be the reason?                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    Best Regards Eckart

ds

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Posted on January 18, 2018 at 14:35

Hi Eckart,

sorry for my misunderstanding...I thought it was M24LR16.

I have just tried again with two M24LR

-discovery boards, and it works fine with iPhone7.

Please, could you share the values of CC File of your M24LR-discovery ? you will need an Android Phone with the ST25 Application.

Normally, your CC register (4 bytes @Address 0) should be 'E1 40 40 05'.

We have seen that, in production, the M24LR-discovery were not programmed well and contained CC = 'E1 40 FF 05'.  So, it you tried to read M24LR just after unpacking it , it could explain the issue.

In this case, I suggest you to reprogram correctly the CC file with the ST25 Android Application. 

Let me know.

Br,

Vincent

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
victor laraison
ST Employee
Posted on January 11, 2018 at 09:38

Dear Eckart,

M24LR16E is not supported yet by iOS coreNFC , as it uses the protocol extension flag which is not handled in coreNFC. For tag type  5, iOS supports only tags <= 4Kbits.

Regarding UM2274, you're right : this is unclear.

'

M24LR series Dynamic NFC Tags

M24LR04E products, X-NUCLEO-NFC02A1 and M24LR Discovery kits

'

We'll correct and clarify that.

Hope it helps. 

Vincent

Posted on January 16, 2018 at 15:50

Hi again Eckart,

Typo fix. iOS support only tags <= 8Kbits !!! 

Br,

Vincent

Posted on January 18, 2018 at 10:12

Hi Vincent,

I know the supported tag size of 8 Kbits.

But the question is why the tag of the ML24LR-discovery board with the M24LR04E type can not be read by a iOS device.

This memory size is only 4 Kbits.

That's my problem.

Regards Eckart

Posted on January 18, 2018 at 14:35

Hi Eckart,

sorry for my misunderstanding...I thought it was M24LR16.

I have just tried again with two M24LR

-discovery boards, and it works fine with iPhone7.

Please, could you share the values of CC File of your M24LR-discovery ? you will need an Android Phone with the ST25 Application.

Normally, your CC register (4 bytes @Address 0) should be 'E1 40 40 05'.

We have seen that, in production, the M24LR-discovery were not programmed well and contained CC = 'E1 40 FF 05'.  So, it you tried to read M24LR just after unpacking it , it could explain the issue.

In this case, I suggest you to reprogram correctly the CC file with the ST25 Android Application. 

Let me know.

Br,

Vincent

Posted on January 18, 2018 at 14:58

Hi Vincent,

that was the error. After setting the CC register to 0x40 I can red out the Tag without problems.

Thank you.

Do you know if the 16 Kbit type will be supported by iOS in future?

Regards Eckart