cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Observation/Discovering BLE device using BlueNRG

K C
Associate II
Posted on January 25, 2018 at 18:49

I am currently trying to discover a BLE compatible device (e.g. iphone) using BlueNRG GUI (v2.6.0) and STEVAL-IDB007V1. 

I tried running ACI_GAP_START_OBSERVATION_PROC and ACI_GAP_START_GENERAL_DISCOVER_PROC, which scanned something, and returned HCI_LE_META_EVENT. However, Addresses listed did not match any of my devices, and Data contained something that I could not translate (varying length of 0~31). Also, these addresses were changing, so I assume that these are not real address?

Am I doing something wrong? Or is it not possible to discover the device with address and data using this setup?

#ble #steval-idb007v1
4 REPLIES 4
Antonio Vilei
Senior III
Posted on January 26, 2018 at 11:08

Hi,

if you have issues when calling ACI_GAP_START_OBSERVATION_PROC and ACI_GAP_START_GENERAL_DISCOVER_PROC manually, you may try a more automated approach. Within the ACI Utilities tab of the BlueNRG GUI, in the Central Role section, there is a Scanning... button that lets you scan for BLE devices. The GUI will show all the related commands and events.

Best regards,

Antonio

Posted on January 26, 2018 at 16:45

Hi Antonio, 

Thank you for your response. 

I have tried the Scanning... button, but it gives me the same result as manual procedure. 

Is there a way to obtain public device address only? 

Posted on February 07, 2018 at 05:02

Hi KC,

In Scanning dialog, there should be an option ''Own Address Type'' to choose Public Device Address:

0690X00000609UeQAI.png

Best Regards,

Winfred

Andrea Palmieri
ST Employee
Posted on February 07, 2018 at 10:29

Hi KC,

I suppose the device you want to discover (iphone in your example) is using a random address. The HCI_LE_META_EVENT comes back with both random and public addresses (if any in the surroundings).

Would it possible for you to configure another device using a public address and then test the discovery procedures?

Kind regards

Andrea