Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble with the CRC unit on STM32F407

Nils B
Associate II
Posted on January 17, 2018 at 10:52

Hello everyone

I have some trouble with the CRC unit on my STM32F407 MCU.

Before each time I am going to use it to calculate a checksum, I reset it and after doing so I double check that the CRC data register (CRC_DR) is as what is expected (just 1s, 0xFFFF_FFFF). This is not always the case and I'm confused why.

So far my application, that uses the CRC unit, seems to be working fine. I don't get any false positive errors (i.e. the CRC unit says the checksum was incorrect when it wasn't).

I could just ignore this check and hope that nothing is wrong, but I have a bad gut feeling about doing that (something might actually be wrong).

I speculate that I perhaps there's a timing issue of some sort. That the CRC unit needs a few more clock cycles before its data register has the correct reset value.

Do you have any ideas about what could be wrong?

I would really appreciate any help with this issue.

Best regards

Nils

PS

Before I use the CRC unit, I enable the CRC clock by setting CRCEN bit in RCC_AHB1ENR and then I set the CRCRST bit in RCC_AHB1RSTR and then clear it.

I reset the CRC by setting the reset bit in the control register of the CRC unit (CRC_CR).

#crc #stm32-f4
11 REPLIES 11
Amel NASRI
ST Employee
Posted on January 17, 2018 at 10:56

Hello,

Please edit your thread and put a meaningful title for it, not a problem description.

-Amel

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Posted on January 17, 2018 at 16:24

I don't know if it's the same issue causing the symptoms you experience, but CRC certainly has timing issues

https://community.st.com/0D50X00009XkW6NSAV [reconstructed]

JW

Posted on January 17, 2018 at 16:40

In the debugger, or with code you share that demonstrates the issue?

Make sure the variables/register are defined as volatile. Not had issues with F4 CRC unit here.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Posted on January 17, 2018 at 17:06

As it is very likely a timing-related issue, it's vital to see the relevant disasm.

On second thought, it may be a different issue than the one what I've observed and linked to above - as reset is performed through RCC, this may be the result of different timing of RCC and CRC (which is an AHB peripheral - this issue is usually demonstrated as GPIO problems when set immediately after clock enabled in RCC).

Or it may be both.

JW

Posted on January 17, 2018 at 17:36

It would be depressingly sad if the CRC logic had timing issue, these things can be implemented at single cycle to very high speeds (should be faster than a 32-bit Full Adder). Seen reports of 4 cycles, but the AHB/APB are of that order too.

Posted on January 17, 2018 at 17:44

CRC is on AHB1 in 'F4 so AHB/APB shouldn't be an issue.

My findings were that you can churn in data as fast as you can, except with the first datum you have to wait the 4 cycles after having CRC reset by writing to its control register.

JW

Posted on January 17, 2018 at 17:54

I don't remember the details exactly, but IIRC the calculation takes 4 cycles per datum, too, except that fast writes to DR imply waitstates. As RM0090 puts it:

The write operation is stalled until the end of the CRC computation, thus allowing back-to-

back write accesses or consecutive write and read accesses.

But don't worry, Cube's implementation hopefully inflicts more than 4 cycles per write.

JW

Posted on January 17, 2018 at 18:03

I think the write buffers to the AHB/APB are going to implicitly take 4 cycles

Things like

TIM2->CNT += 8; // Don't really advance the timer

Posted on January 17, 2018 at 18:15

Yes, but as I've said above, in 'F4xx, CRC is *not* on APB; it's on AHB.

JW