Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simple VoIP client od STM32l475 MCU

Juliusz Bojarczuk
Associate
Posted on January 22, 2018 at 20:31

Hello everybody!

I want to make a simple VoIP client handling SIP and RTP protocols. It needs to be very simple (connect to the VoIP server, make a call, pick up a call, end call), fast and reliable.  I'm wondering if there are some solutions that could help me to make this? (Simple example would be great

🙂

) My first idea was to make own poject to handle SIP and RTP stack, but i think it would take a lot of time to finish.

#sip #voip #rtp #phone
10 REPLIES 10
Andrew Neil
Chief II
Posted on January 23, 2018 at 10:03

If you want 'simple', surely a Raspberry Pi would be more appropriate here?

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=VoIP+Raspberry+Pi

Developing this on a microcontroller is not going to be 'simple'

WonHo Sung
Associate

Hi Juliusz,

You might be interested in our VoIP solution.

Please take a look into the demo video.

https://youtu.be/BzXaFzCm2v4

Charles Blanchard
Associate III

Hello @Juliusz Bojarczuk​ , I'm trying to make the same thing.

Did you succeded in making your project?

Thank you,

Charles

Webe.6
Associate

Hello @Juliusz Bojarczuk​ @Community member​ ,

would like to start a similar project as you, an implementation of a SIP client on a STM32H753 with RTX. There are many libraries for e.g. Linux systems, but I could not find an implementation directly on the controller or on a RTOS like RTX so far. Were you successful with your projects? If yes, which library did you use or did you implement the SIP client yourself?

Many greetings

Felix

Given that there was no reply to the same question 3 years ago, it seems unlikely that any will be forthcoming now ... ?

"There are many libraries for e.g. Linux systems"

So, again, wouldn't a Raspberry Pi be more appropriate here?

Webe.6
Associate

Thank you for your reply. Yes you are right of course that a Raspberry Pi would be much easier here, however there is an existing project with a STM32H7 which should only be extended with appropriate functionality. I don't have time at the moment to port the whole project to a Linux base, hence this approach.

Why do you think that after 3 years there is no one who could have implemented this ?

I didn't say there'd be nobody - just that it's unlikely that the people you mentioned from 3 years ago are going to reply.

Also, you've posted in a thread about a different processor.

Well, so often VoIP clients have not been realised with Cortex-M, but last year a developer published his idea: Developing SIP Phone with GUI on STM32 MCU

Maybe that's an interesting approach?

Regards

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

and that one is on an STM32F7

Edit

Even in the optimised version shown there, it's using 300K RAM - so that wouldn't have fitted on the STM32L475.

The biggest STM32L4 has 320K RAM - so even that would've been a bit tight.

https://www.st.com/en/microcontrollers-microprocessors/stm32l4-series.html