cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Examples of sensored X-CUBE-SPN8 motor control with Hall sensor?

eBirdman
Senior
Posted on March 21, 2018 at 20:50

I found only more requests of the same in this forum and no answers. Using Hall sensors for motor control is most typical today. 6-step BLDC code example provided in X-CUBE-SPN8 is sensorless only. There are driver files in X-CUBE-SPN8 package specifically made for Hall sensored control (stm32f4xx_hal_tim_ex.c andstm32f4xx_hal_tim_ex.h) but no examples of usage found. Please somebody point to any example. I will keep posting this until somebody who knows will reply.

Thanks in advance.

#x-cube-spn8 #x-nucleo-ihm08m1 #sensored #motor-control #bldc #sensor #hall

Note: this post was migrated and contained many threaded conversations, some content may be missing.
24 REPLIES 24
eBirdman
Senior
Posted on March 21, 2018 at 21:00

I had to mention that the X-NUCLEO-IHM08M1 expansion board for which  X-CUBE-SPN8 was made, does have connectors for Hall sensors. So everything was designed ready for Hall sensored control but no examples of code.

I know that many users (if not vast majority) who buy this board will be using Hall sensors, please help all of those.

eBirdman
Senior
Posted on April 04, 2018 at 18:10

Is there anybody who used STM32 for sensored BLDC motor control? Anybody in the world used X-CUBE-SPN8 for Hall sensored motor control?   Am I the first user of it for such basic application ?

eBirdman
Senior
Posted on April 04, 2018 at 18:13

This forum tagged this question as 'No one else has this question' ! False.  I found 4 more similar questions starting from years ago.

eBirdman
Senior
Posted on April 04, 2018 at 19:34

Nobody clicked 'I also have this question' to mine because they didn't see it !  I also did not get theirs when I was searching for these key words while on this site. If I did I'd click on theirs 'I also have this question' (nobody clicked for them either). (later on I found their similar question on google search - what's the difference?). Also possible that they might be out of here because they did not get any replies - people cannot stay here for years waiting for answers   If such general questions about STM product's direct intended usage by the users must be asked in STM sales office, then what is the purpose of the community forum ?

Posted on April 04, 2018 at 19:10

Ok, but nobody has clicked 'I also have this question' on yours.

Suggest you contact your local ST office and connect with an FAE

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Posted on April 04, 2018 at 19:57

This is a user-to-user forum, ST's engineering staff generally work corporate accounts directly through the usual channels (sales, support, product reps, etc). They also have a list of contractors/consultants for more hands-on engineering support needs.

The lack of FAE participation here has been lamented for the most part of a decade.

The forum was moved to a new platform ~15 months ago, so of the older posts won't get flagged, without links/cites I'm not going to dig for them. Answers would be dependent on fellow Motor Engineers participating and helping each other, a review of the sub-forum activity should provide some insight into that level of participation, and who the moderation staff are.

Posted on April 04, 2018 at 20:01

Anyone home? Rattling the squirrel cage in Motor Control

Kling.Brian

Posted on April 05, 2018 at 06:09

Indeed starting a new platform of this nature could be a very long process if people coming here don't see activity. I think this is why I observed in other competing companies forums their application engineers actively participating in answering people's question and this in turn draws many more users to this place (and to their products as well ) and then in turn multiples of other users start answering questions of the newcomers. This explains why the other company making similar products even rewards their employees for helping forum participants answering questions. It is very unfortunate that STM does not go this way - they have very good product line (I mean their STM32 MCUs + Nucleo boards + Cube libraries) . I do believe making this forum active with the help of their employees STM probably could have taken the whole market of motor control... 

Posted on April 05, 2018 at 16:44

I have asked

Poli.Enrico

‌ to have a look.