cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where is NUCLEO-F446RE board in X-CUBE-MCSDK Motor Profiler ?

eBirdman
Senior
Posted on April 28, 2018 at 01:45

I downloaded the latest release X-CUBE-MCSDK ver. 5.03 . Release Notes show NUCLEO-F446RE board in the list of the supported control boards in this release but Motor Profiler does not show this board.  What is the reason  for discrepancy? Is this board coming up soon with a new release? Or is the downloadable release on STM site not the latest?

#x-cube-mcsdk #nucleo-f446re
4 REPLIES 4
John Fitter
Associate II
Posted on May 19, 2018 at 04:05

When are we likely to get an answer to this question? I bought this board BECAUSE it was on the list of supported boards. Now I find I cannot use it in motor profiler. In fact motor profiler is too smart for its own good. It is not compatible with the JLink upgrade to the STLInk programmer.

More importantly support is required for Nucleo-F446RE as advertised in the literature.

Posted on May 19, 2018 at 15:35

This post question obviously implies that answer should come from the STM employees ...  But STM employees are not usually engaged here. Rarely response is coming if it is obviously directed to the support team. I had a reply from a moderator to my post explicitly saying that this is only community exchange site (not  a media for communication between the users and STM team) . This means that questions specific to the problems with STM products are not expected here but should be sent to the tech support.... Ironically, one of replies I got from the STM support  to my request about the missing information in the user guide, they redirected me to ... this community forum

Companies are either good in making better products (even though nothing can be perfect) OR they are good in providing tech support... but NOT BOTH.

Posted on May 19, 2018 at 18:14

The staff participation level has been an issue here for a decade. There are several issues here, real support is expensive, you pay your garage mechanics $90/hr to work on your problems, but when it comes to computers and chips everyone expects support for free. Going to have to sell a lot of $5 chips to carry $1000 of baggage for every tom,dick and harry with an issue. The good engineers you want to interact with are several levels away and not keen or equipped to deal with everyone's minutia.

For commercial accounts, register your project with your local/regional rep, have interactions with them and the FAE that support them. The FAE can either deal with the problems directly, or with the internal engineering teams, or application experts.

Unless you're a $1M repeat customer don't expect engineers to air-drop to your location. The likes of Apple, Nike and Whirlpool might expect this, but they also have strong track records, and deep rosters of in-house talent.

On the other hand ST spends a lot of money on development/evaluations boards, seminars, and tech roadshows, to get the boards in to the hands of everyone. This seems to lack the depth of FAE and technical talent to adequately support it all. There seems to be the perception in management that 'if you build it, they will come' and that some how support and expertise will manifest by itself. I'm sure that things don't work that way, people tend to be self focused, and providing support is a mostly thankless task. Everyone wants 'help', but this is almost an entirely asymmetrical experience.

I've explained more times than I care that they need to focus on initial customer experience, to have stuff work out of the box, and with common use cases, because if this is left in a rough state, with repeated problems, then the forum is going to be full of noise from stupid problems that could have been addressed/managed with a little care and attention to the deliverables.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Laurent Ca...
Lead II

The question has been moved from the "Motor Control Hardware" section to the "STM32 Motor Control" section (the question is about the STM32 MC SDK). 

Best regards