Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

B-L475E-IOT01A how to connect to AWS

Tilo Lutz
Associate
Posted on February 10, 2018 at 12:44

Hi

Is anyone using the B-L475E-IOT01A with the AWS from amazon as mentioned in the documentation?

I have problems getting it to work. I have the same problem with the default firmware which has been delivered and the one I compiled myself.

I use attolic truestudio and I have imported the example project provided in en.x-cube-aws.zip

The only thing I changed in the exmaple project is I have increased the debug level.

I created the AWS account and created the certifiacted and 'thing' as shown in the video and written in the handout en.STM32L4_Discovery_Kit_IoT_Node_Hands_on.

The Wifi connection works. I get an IP from the dhco server.

The controller is able to get the time from a server. Althoug ssl_tls returns an error the time is delivered.

For me it seems ssl in general is working.

In the next step the conenction to AWS should be done.

Starting there I get a lot of errors. With wireshark I was able to detect there is a connection attempt. The amazon interface shows there are connection attempts. Unfortunatly none of them was successful.

I have attached the terminal output.

Can anybody give me a hint how to proceed?

Thank you very much!

#b-l475e-iot01a #ssl #aws
3 REPLIES 3
Posted on March 17, 2018 at 19:19

Dear

stm.018

I saw this error message, i understand the error also.

Issue is with AWS server connectivity.

Cause could be either you :

a. No creation of certificates

b. NO policy or mis match of policies and certificates to thing.

c. Thing should be created on 'Ohio' server. And please add that(AWS info like server address, Certificates) to Board with help of tera term as you added as WIFI.

SO TOTAL OF 4 ADDITIONS ARE DONE TO BOARD USING TERA TERM.

1. WIFI and SSID option(0/1/2/3)

2. AWS SECURITY

3. SERVER ADDRESS

Hope this info will help you .

If any issue please feel free to write on forum.

Thank you.

Phanirajkiran

Posted on March 17, 2018 at 19:22

Hey You need to FIRST CREATE an AWS account and create the THING and its Policies and Certificates. 

These are all done on Amazon. 

Thanks

Phanirajkiran

AJone
Associate II

I ran into similar problems and finally tracked it down to two main problems plus a bunch of minor problems. The two big problems are:

1. The CA certificates that are provided as part of the demo are not valid anymore because neither AWS or gandi.net (the source for setting the RTC) use Verisign anymore.
  2. The MBEDTLS_SSL_MAX_CONTENT_LEN #define value is set too small. Increase it from 5000 to 5500.

I've documented the problems and corrections plus detailed setup instructions in the attached zip file.