Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SPWF01: Running example applications

Sylvain Basset
Associate II
Posted on February 18, 2018 at 18:35

Hi,

I get troubles to start with my new IDW01M1 module.

I use it with the NUCLEO-L053R8 board, but none of applications provided with the WiFi CubeExpansion package works with my hardware.

For example, I load the 'WiFi_VCOM' application to the main board. The application launches, but it cannot set the connection with WiFi module at start (message 'Error in baud-rate auto-detection...' on termnial).

Again, with the 'Client_socket' application: it starts, ask for identifiers, and freeze at WiFi module initialization.

It seems that there are no communications at all with the module.

I tried Resets on both boards, and Factory setting reset on WiFi module (set GPIO0 high at start), without success.

Jumpers are placed on JP3 and JP4, no jumpers on JP1/JP2

LED1 is on, LED2, LED3, LED4 are off.

Does I missed something obvious, or my hardware is broken ???

#x-cube-wifi #spwf01
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Posted on March 03, 2018 at 13:23

I found that the problem comes from side effect between sysctick and UART interrupt.

The Systick interrupt calls Process_WiFi() function (wifi_module.c). At begining, interruptions are disabled during  pop_buffer_queue() call (wifi_module.c, line 1093). So UART reception is disabled during this time.

It seems that this critical section last too long compared to UART IRQ frequency. I found that memset() operation, used to initialize the poping buffer, takes too much time.

So, I silly reduced the size of buffer initialization (ring_buffer.c, line 188) :

memset(pop_buffer, 0x00 , MAX_BUFFER_GLOBAL); --> to : memset(pop_buffer, 0x00 , ELEMENT_SIZE); 

And it works !!!  I'm now able to connect to my AP and open socket.

Just note that this is a dirty workaround. I just tested a connection to AP . I dont know what happens when 'data chunk' is enabled.

I see this forum is not very active but i hope this will help someone who google it.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Sylvain Basset
Associate II
Posted on February 23, 2018 at 13:33

Hi,

I did further investigations and it appears that my example applications stucks in infinite loop at wifi module initialization :

In wifi_module.c:

while(IO_status_flag.WiFi_WIND_State.WiFiHWStarted != WIFI_TRUE)

{

__NOP(); //nothing to do

}

I found these threads

https://community.st.com/0D50X00009XkgFFSAZ

and

https://community.st.com/0D50X00009XkXvmSAF

describing the same problem.

So, I looked at ring_buffer content after wifi module reset, and I got WIND strings with some missing character :

ie:

\r\n+WND:1:peron ...

In the second thread I mention, it said that missing characters means 'issue on uart management' (

see Gerardo Gallucci post on May 2, 2017 10:20 AM)

But it remains unclear how to fix that problem. I tried to switch Timer and Uart IRQ priority but it has no effect.

Can you help me to resolve this.

Regards

Sylvain Basset

PS: my first port contains a mistake : LED 4 (orange) in ON on my module

Posted on March 03, 2018 at 13:23

I found that the problem comes from side effect between sysctick and UART interrupt.

The Systick interrupt calls Process_WiFi() function (wifi_module.c). At begining, interruptions are disabled during  pop_buffer_queue() call (wifi_module.c, line 1093). So UART reception is disabled during this time.

It seems that this critical section last too long compared to UART IRQ frequency. I found that memset() operation, used to initialize the poping buffer, takes too much time.

So, I silly reduced the size of buffer initialization (ring_buffer.c, line 188) :

memset(pop_buffer, 0x00 , MAX_BUFFER_GLOBAL); --> to : memset(pop_buffer, 0x00 , ELEMENT_SIZE); 

And it works !!!  I'm now able to connect to my AP and open socket.

Just note that this is a dirty workaround. I just tested a connection to AP . I dont know what happens when 'data chunk' is enabled.

I see this forum is not very active but i hope this will help someone who google it.