cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HAL DIVERS for stm8 series?

Arman Ilmak
Senior
Posted on March 03, 2018 at 17:08

Hey guys.I was just working with stm32f2 series and used cube mx to generate the code,but stm8 series do not have code generator in cube mx(sad

:(

).

I wanted to see if there is any HAL divers or i have to write the code with cmsis?

6 REPLIES 6
Arman Ilmak
Senior
Posted on March 03, 2018 at 17:14

One more question. Doesn't keil support stm8 series?

Posted on March 03, 2018 at 18:01

The STM8 is not an ARM based core and does not support CMSIS, or Keil.

The HAL is rather a thick abstraction, and not terribly well suited to something where you want the code as small and fast as possible.

You want HAL/CubeMX, consider a Cortex-M0(+) based device from the STM32 family.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Posted on March 03, 2018 at 20:04

Keil does not support STM8. Basically, the C compiler choices are: SDCC, IAR, Cosmic, Raisonance. There is a

http://colecovision.eu/stm8/compilers.shtml

, but it only considers aspects of the C compilers themselves (i.e. it doesn't consider IDE integration, etc).

Philipp

Posted on March 03, 2018 at 20:19

You mean it's better to write the code with registers mentioned in the user manual?

Posted on March 03, 2018 at 21:57

The answer depends on your definition of 'better'.

Working on the registers forces you to understand the device. It is generally more efficient. 

Whether that's good is up to you.

Posted on March 03, 2018 at 22:28

It is usually better to meet your speed and cost budgets, a good idea of how the processor actually functions might allow you to hit your goals instead of miss them.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..