cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the best approach for using 802.15.4 with the STM32F4 series?

Brian Neltner
Associate
Posted on February 21, 2018 at 23:44

I am new to the ST ecosystem, hopefully this is a good place to ask basic questions.

I would like to develop a new subcircuit for a variety of boards using the STM32F4 series as a base MCU. I would like to be able to use this as an 802.15.4 transceiver that will communicate with a digi 802.15.4 xstick or similar USB dongle.

I am curious what the best approach would be to do this using the STM32F4 chips, are there any well established peripheral chips for the 2.4GHz 802.15.4 subsystem? Ideally with existing libraries and example code to make it quicker to get up to speed? If any existing example code allows for OTA firmware updates, that would be amazing to know about.

I'm trying to avoid plug-in modules since my main reason for moving to discrete MCUs here rather than the MBED boards is to make my system more compact.

I don't really know what toolchain or basic methods are best practice for the chip, how do people usually compile and upload new firmware for custom boards using these chips? Do I need a JTAG header, or do they have a bootloader that allows firmware updates over USB built in?

#stm32f4 #802.15.4
0 REPLIES 0