cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to start

john north
Associate
Posted on February 25, 2018 at 14:18

Hello, i own a stm32f4 discovery board. Till now i have been using youtube video tutorials to learn the basics. But soon i will need to do some of the more advanced things, like computer interface that will show values directly from the board (for instance show readings of temperature senzor in an application i will design). Since there are no tutorials to adress this i have been wondering how to start - i have been looking at the reference manual of the board but i have a hard time going around, i think i would even have a problem turning on the led light without online tutorials. Can you point me in the right direction on how to start doing things ? I am guessing understanding reference manual and functions is a start ?

8 REPLIES 8
Andrew Neil
Evangelist
Posted on February 25, 2018 at 20:10

For basic getting-started tips, see:

https://community.st.com/0D50X00009XkWm7SAF

Posted on February 25, 2018 at 20:12

Topic was touched several times on this forum:

https://community.st.com/0D50X00009XkWm7SAF

Posted on February 25, 2018 at 20:59

Depends a lot about where you're coming from, so some context about age and educational background will help significantly to pitch a response.

Without some basic grasp of programming and micro-controllers it's going to be a bit of a slog up the learning curve.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
john north
Associate
Posted on February 25, 2018 at 21:25

I am finishing computer science college, i have done quite a bit of programming but very little in regards to micro-controllers - we basicly had 1 course about micro-controllers, we learned basics of led lights on board, a bit about interrupts and USART data transfer from 1 board to the other. 

I can handle most of the things i need (sensor reading, controlling extrenal devices through IO with relays), the biggest challenge will be how to get data from the board to the computer, for instance temperature sensor reading connected to stm and then display it on pc. I read that i can do that through serial port, though i would rather do it through usb, if even possible. And in that regard, i dont even know where to begin. 
henry.dick
Senior II
Posted on February 25, 2018 at 23:15

'

Can you point me in the right direction on how to start doing things ?'

the best way to start doing things is to start doing things. get yourself a user manual for your tools, the datasheet for your device, read them and hack it away.

Posted on February 26, 2018 at 01:34

the best way to start doing things is to start doing things. get yourself a user manual for your tools, the datasheet for your device, read them and hack it away

+1

'C

omputer interface' - especially when said just like that, without being specified further -  sounds a wee bit more demanding than a beginner's first project. Blinky is the embedded hello world.

JW

T J
Lead
Posted on February 26, 2018 at 07:45

if I could suggest that you start with Visual Studio and Visual GDB. but its cost is  approx < $100 with options

Posted on February 26, 2018 at 10:49

Begin with the U(S)ART.

Some of the DISCOs are equipped with STLinkV2-1 (the -1 is important), which present a virtual serial port on the PC side and a real UART on their pins, usually with a jumper to UART pins of the target mcu on the board.

The F4 DISCO in particular is a somewhat unfortunate choice in this regard, it's in two versions - 'older' STLinkV2 without the VCP, and the newer one, which has the VCP but its pins are not wired to the target mcu and that has to be done manually using jumper wires.

JW