Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32F103 Virtual COM Port and embedded bootloader

Grzegorz Wójcik
Associate II
Posted on February 26, 2018 at 14:39

Hello,

I am using STM32F103 and I would like to use:

STM32F103 USART bootloader + USB as Virtual COM port + PC application for uploading hex file.

My question is: Would it be possible to use embedded USART bootloader (together with STM32-FLASHER) in the following way:

-configure USB as virtual COM port,

-connect with PC, use STM32-FLASHER,

-when program detects USB connection, it jumps from user application into embedded bootloader,

-STM32-FLASHER is used for uploading the code via USB as VPC

As far as I know, before jumping into bootloader we have to disable interrupts and peripherals. But what if I leave USB configured? Would it make any sense to do so? This would save me some work with developing custom bootloader.

#flasher #stm32f103 #usb #bootloader #usb-vcp
1 REPLY 1
Posted on February 27, 2018 at 10:18

We need to activate the bootloader somehow. This doc shows all the option for many MCUs:

http://www.st.com/content/ccc/resource/technical/document/application_note/b9/9b/16/3a/12/1e/40/0c/CD00167594.pdf/files/CD00167594.pdf/jcr:content/translations/en.CD00167594.pdf

In case of STMF103 probably we do not have option to use the USB as the bootloader 'wire'. For this case I used to develop specill application to be able to load the code through USB.

For newer MCU there is such option. Please see the document I provided the link to.