cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Customizable GPS module

Ariel kamni
Associate II
Posted on March 01, 2018 at 16:06

Hello, please i would know if ST provides customizable GPS processor or customizable GSM processor.

Thank you.

Note: this post was migrated and contained many threaded conversations, some content may be missing.
15 REPLIES 15
Posted on March 01, 2018 at 18:57

What exactly do you want to customize? Can you achieve this more simply with a micro-controller with your own code?

The GNSS/GPS and GSM Modems are highly complicated devices, unless you have specific experience and doing millions of dollars of business you're not going to get access to this level of IP.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Posted on March 01, 2018 at 18:33

http://www.st.com/en/automotive-infotainment-and-telematics/sta8058.html

Try to google st site - put this in google:

site:st.com gps

Posted on March 01, 2018 at 19:02

Turvey.Clive.002

‌ Do you have any comments on this module?

http://www.st.com/content/st_com/en/products/evaluation-tools/product-evaluation-tools/mcu-eval-tools/stm32-mcu-eval-tools/stm32-mcu-discovery-kits/p-l496g-cellhtml

110$ net price - slightly expensive for hobby project, stmod+ connector does not make the design compact - I would prefer shields but I like ST modules as they are usually good quality...

Posted on March 01, 2018 at 19:43

Not got specific experience with the Quectel modem. You could probably doing things a little cheaper with a NUCLEO/DISCO and a SIMCOM shield, but the advantage in the ST offering is the software support and development environment it brings.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Posted on March 02, 2018 at 11:26

Ok. thank you for your reaction.

I work actually on a project of tracking. When i do some research on the web, i see that my system need a GSM/GPS/GPRS module and a microcontroller to  command the GSM/GPS/GPRS module. I want to reduce the number of components, by introducing the programm of the microcontroller in the GSM/GPS/GPRS module (because the GSM/GPRS/GPS module has an integrated microcontroller). 

I think that this is possible if i have the possibility to modify the programm integrated in the GSM/GPRS/GPS module. 

This is the origin of my problem. I am open to other propositions.

Thank you.

Posted on March 02, 2018 at 11:35

Select a module (form factor, mechanical interfaces e.g. arduino connector in case nucleo boards, etc).

See what standard is supported 2G/3G/LTE - 2G is going to die soon....

Read comments on the web - module reliability, etc

Look at the interface - usually AT commands through asynchronous serial port. That's it.

Posted on March 02, 2018 at 12:03

Thank you Sir