cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the best way to use the serial device in this case?

Jems On
Associate II
Posted on April 23, 2018 at 18:08

I am currently using a driver that uses latch and clock signals to send special commands before sending data.

For the sending of the data the driver works as for an SPI but with the signal of clock.

Here is the diagram.

0690X00000604alQAA.jpg

To interact with this driver I am currently using the microcontroller pins in GPIO out and I generate the output signals without using the SPI device.

The problem is that by doing this I block my application while if I used the device SPI I could do something else in parallel.

Because if I want to use my SPI port I will have to whenever I want to sent the start of the special command reconfigure the pins out and once the special command sent reconfigure the device SPI.

Is there a way to manage this kind of communication?

Thanks in advance !

7 REPLIES 7
henry.dick
Senior II
Posted on April 23, 2018 at 19:14

There are always ways to do it. Two from me.

1. Rewrite your subroutine via interrupt. The easiest.

2. Rewrite an interrupt based routine for your own transmission. Not too difficult.

Posted on April 24, 2018 at 21:32

Could perhaps use DMA+TIM to send a pattern buffer to GPIOx->BSRR

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Posted on April 24, 2018 at 19:55

Hello and thank you for your answer dhenry.

I do not really understand the difference between your two proposals but I know that I can use the interrupts to manage this

What I would like to know is if between the COMMAND part and the DATA part I have to change the alternate function of the pin.

In part command I have to be in GPIO out configuration to send different clock and latch spikes and then reconfigure my pin for SPI function ?

Posted on April 24, 2018 at 21:41

Thanks clive for your answer!

I had never heard that it is possible to make patterns of this kind.

I will inquire.

Thanks so much

Posted on April 24, 2018 at 22:09

It is the automated version of manually bit-banging the GPIO pins to get the sequences you want. The TIM+DMA provides for a more consistent timing/pacing, and allows for very high speed with low CPU utilization.

Classical implementation of a multi-channel sequencer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kACVLOcRidg

Posted on April 24, 2018 at 22:59

thank you again for your answer.

Would you know an example delivered by ST that looks like what I want to do?

Posted on April 25, 2018 at 00:32

I've posted plenty of examples of this over the years, I think ST has an app note about such things these days.

Issues depend on processor in question, the F4 series need you to use DMA2 based on the bus plumbing, ie Memory-to-Memory, GPIO has to be treated like normal memory rather than expedited transfer on APB1/2 via DMA1/2 respectively.

Look for a TIM CHx/UP trigger related to specific DMA Channel/Stream