cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What would be the effect of placing a thin waterproof membrane over the hole on MP34DT01-M for example?

svar jonson
Associate
Posted on March 19, 2018 at 20:14

I would like to make a waterproof microphone. I.e. I need it to withstand water spray from time to time and at the same time maintain functional microphone, not kill the performance completely.

I therefore am thinking about introducing a waterproofing membrane and glue on top of the MP34DT01-M microphone.

I would like to know the predicted effects of this to the frequency response? Do you have any recommendations?

BR

jonnsi

#mems #audio #microphone #waterproof
1 REPLY 1
Legacy member
Not applicable
Posted on March 21, 2018 at 08:42

Hello,

What are your plans with the rest of the electronics? The component itself is not waterproof, the surrounding circuitry also not (maybe if you put it all into some rosin or epoxy). Anyway, people usually place a whole microphone (meaning sensor + circuitry) into a birthday baloon or similar thing.

Also, have a look at this article, describing differences of sound perception in water and in the air: 

https://dosits.org/science/sounds-in-the-sea/how-does-sound-in-air-differ-from-sound-in-water/

David